moonrise

Taehyung

"I am still going to tell her I want to go home, maybe tomorrow or something," Taehyung told Jungkook quietly as they intentionally fell behind, watching Taehyung's family. His mother and grandmother walked with slow steps and lots of excitement towards the lake they were to visit.

The view wasn't as astonishing as one would imagine it to be. Daegu was way too populated and way too small to have a huge, green spot for picnics and families hanging out. However, it didn't mean it wasn't lively, or that people didn't improvise.

They reached one of Taehyung's favorite spots, one of the best lake views. They reached the wooden stairs leading to the lake, and Taehyung stopped for a second to reminisce. He would come here more than often during his childhood, mostly on sunny days, which brought back candid memories.

The railing wasn't far from them, for it allowed them to have a perfect view from there. The edge was similar to a pontoon, and lots of tourists would take a break there, especially during the weekends.

However, now, it being the middle of the week kept away the crowds. It was only them and a couple of other people, so they put their belongings aside and took some family pictures.

Taehyung hasn't felt that good in days. As the view was bringing back lovely, childhood memories, today his father didn't seem to be the worst, and for one reason or another, knowing Jungkook was there, offered Taehyung some kind of comfort.

He didn't question it.

Not because he wouldn't have wanted to, but because his mind was preoccupied with other things.

For example, the fact that Soobin, Yeonjun, his mother, and his grandmother left the three of them alone now, and the awkward silence felt like a silent scream to Taehyung's ear. He didn't know whether it was tension, or expectations that he was feeling, but his father's silence scared him.

Since the day they had arrived in Ddaegu, Jungkook and Taehyung barely interacted with him. It wasn't a bad thing, on the contrary, it gave Taehyung the liberty of not stressing over possible interactions or his father's opinions, but now it was kind of nagging him. The whole purpose of the trip was to convince him that a partner was not going to change anything in the way his sons behave, however, having little to no interaction, didn't help them out that much.

Taehyung had no idea whether it was working or not.

"Jungkook." Taehyung's father said, startling Taehyung who was already lost in his anxious thoughts. He felt Jungkook tense by his side. Taehyung truly wanted to hold his hand.

He didn't do it.

"What's your future plan?" Taehyung's father asked, voice even, not too curious, but not uninterested. He was testing the waters. Maybe he had waited for an opportunity to ask Jungkook about himself and his future. Now that they were alone, there wasn't another person there to interrupt, he took his chance.

"I plan to get away from my family." It was the first thing Jungkook said, and Taehyung wasn't sure they both agreed to this. He watched him with one raised eyebrow, making sure his father wouldn't notice him.

It took Jungkook a couple of awkward seconds to find his words, and reply properly, but he handled it better than Taehyung had expected.

"I want to have a decent life, Mr. Kim, and them being around me won't help. I just want to get away, make it on my own, then go back for my mom. In order to do that, I will have to do something about it instead of sulking on my own, right?" He was serious when he explained to Taehyung's father. Jungkook being sincere wasn't part of the plan, but there was a small, brave smile on his lips, and then Taehyung decided this might be even better than whatever they had agreed on.