waning gibbous

Jungkook

The room was spacious, Jungkook's new, temporary space. Baby blue painted walls, bright light streaming through wide windows, and a simple yet very welcoming design. It wasn't the first time Jungkook had entered it; he had visited Soobin's home a hundred times in the past. However, he had never used this room before. In the past, he didn't need it, as he used to share Soobin's bedroom. They were best friends, and whenever Jungkook was there, it was to talk for hours on end before falling asleep.

This time was different. Soobin's mother, a sweetheart, was more than happy to prepare a room for her son's best friend. She was familiar with Jungkook's situation, growing up with Soobin, but she had never interfered with their family and their choices. Mrs. Choi had always been a kind but calculated woman.

Jungkook asked for help directly this time, and she accepted immediately. She quickly presented the guest room to Jungkook and even offered to bring him one of Namjoon's old desks for the room. That way, Jungkook could have a fully equipped bedroom where he could study or even play games in privacy, without disturbing Soobin's space.

Overwhelmed with her kindness, Jungkook was at a loss for words for a while. He couldn't even think of a proper way to repay them.

"I still think I am asking too much of you, but I will give you my monthly pay. After all, I have a job, and my money could cover some of the food expenses at least."

Soobin's mother replied with a generous smile. "Why don't you use that money for yourself? You are going to need it. Plus, we have plenty of food, Jungkookie. Do not worry about money here, alright? Stay for as long as you need."

"I can't just... do it. You are too kind, but at least a part of it—"

"Darling, if you want to pay for your stay, go to a hotel. My house, my rules. You are not to mention money to me again. In return, use that money for yourself. If you don't like my food one day, feel free to buy whatever you want yourself and put them in the fridge. Just do not think you need to give us anything in return. We have always felt like you are a part of the family, me and my husband too. So focus on yourself and school. It's your last year, after all. It's the least we could do."

The tear threatening to spill finally fell on Jungkook's cheek as he took a step closer to Mrs. Choi, taking her into his embrace and holding her still.

"Thank you... thank you, I truly mean it."

The change of home for Jungkook meant a new beginning. He didn't know whether he made the right choice, but honestly, who knows what's the right thing to do? Jungkook didn't know where the path was leading him, but as long as he managed to get away from the nightmare of his home, he was happy.

" The money you gave me to fake date Taehyung, let me give it back, Soobin. It's not like I truly had to get paid to be his fake boyfriend. I wanted to do it." Jungkook had never felt that getting close to Taehyung was an obligation. Maybe he was a bit reticent at first; he felt like there was a terrible tension between them, he even thought Taehyung hated him. However, after getting to know him, he started having a lot of fun, and most likely he would have done it anyway, with or without the money.

Fake dating someone was never a good idea, so obviously, it made him a bit uncomfortable. But then their relationship developed naturally, and Jungkook didn't have to do much; he let his feelings guide him. Was it a good or a bad thing? Well, that was something he would have to learn eventually.