last quarter

Taehyung

"What do you mean?" Taehyung asked with a low, grave voice, his heartbeat increasing as he started to feel the anxiety crawl up in his stomach all the way to his throat.

Was it possible that... everything that happened between him and Jungkook was just a lie? No, it can't be. Jimin can't know Jungkook like Taehyung does. No one can. Taehyung didn't want to consider it, even though Jimin seemed confident when speaking.

"I..." Jimin's eyes started to wonder as if he instantly regretted what he had just said.

"Jimin, please, what are you hiding? You are scaring me..."

"Tae, I know Jungkook.... has been in a relationship before, and it ended up very ugly, and he used to hang out with... the worst type of people. I can't say with certainty that he isn't good for you. I could be wrong, but I need you to be cautious."

Taehyung let out a relieved sigh. The cup of coffee in front of him didn't taste as good as it did ten minutes ago.

"I've been careful for a very long time, Jimin. But you don't know what I know about him. He told me about all that stuff, he didn't hide anything from me. And I don't think he is. I... trust him." He took a deep breath. Jimin had to trust him.

"I don't think Jungkook is ready for something serious and you are definitely not the type to be okay with a "no strings attached" type of relationship. All I am saying is... you should try to discuss these things and... if his answer is how I expect it to be... just give up."

Taehyung got mad at that. How can his best friend tell him to just give up? As if that would have been the easiest thing to do. He ground his teeth, closing his eyes, trying to choose his words.

"Jimin, you know what? I know you and I are very different. Yet I am not some fragile trinket that can break at any moment. I am not afraid of being hurt by Jungkook. If he chooses that, I'll just take it. I don't care what would happen if he doesn't love me back, or if he runs away. That's a for then problem. Right now, he makes me happy, and I'll enjoy it as much as I can."

Whatever Jimin had said did not change Taehyung's stance. Actually, it did the opposite. Convinced him Jungkook deserved a chance.

There wasn't much that could go wrong in their case, so he boldly headed to Soobin's home, feeling the itch in his belly, looking forward to spending some more time, getting lost in Jungkook's eyes. Touch. Voice and scent. He wanted him.

He wanted to be there with him.

Being there for him.

Upon reaching Soobin's house, Taehyung was greeted warmly by the boy's mother, her face lighting up with a broad smile.

"I assume you are here for our Jungkookie! He was just helping me with the soup I was making, but it was almost done. So you are just in time for dinner!" Her eyes formed small moons when she smiled, and in a way, she reminded him of Jimin. Taehyung felt bitter about the whole situation with his best friend.

The same sweetness. Beauty. He felt a bit bad for not explaining to Jimin his side a bit further, but he felt like he wouldn't be heard anyway...

Upon entering the hallway, Taehyung was hit by the familiarity of an old, not-so-recent scene, of a confused him and Jungkook, standing right beside the kitchen's door, too scared to make the first step.