Chapter Five-Jail Time

Luke's P.O.V.:

One of the cops, a tall black man approached me. "Mr. Bryan, you're under arrest." My heart was pounding and my palms became sweaty. Officer Clemons, at least that is what his badge read, came up behind me and cuffed my wrists together, as he read me my rights. He led me on out the door. I turned to look over my shoulder at Carter, with a pleading expression. Sympathy was written all over his face. Honestly, I was kind of pissed that he didn't do anything to try and prevent my arrest. But then again, I deserved this. God, how could I be so ignorant? What is Caroline going to think when she finds out I'm locked up? My mind began racing. I wished I could push a button and my brain would just shut off. Once outside, Officer Clemons placed me in the back of the cop car. Both officers got in the front and we were off.

Once we arrived at the Lee County Jail, Officer Clemons helped me out of the backseat and led me through the secured doors. I was fingerprinted and had my picture taken. Jesus, how would my fans react, if they saw my mugshot on Google? After going through the humiliating process of being fingerprinted and having my picture taken, I was led down a long hallway. I was still drunk, because I staggered here and there. We walked for what seemed like an eternity until finally, we approached my holding cell. Officer Clemons removed my handcuffs and informed me that I had the right to one fifteen minute phone call and that I could be released on bail or would remain here until my court date. I decided I would use that one phone call and call Caroline. I was dreading calling her, because I knew she would be pissed, but I needed to let her know.

Caroline's P.O.V.:

I glanced down at the home screen of my IPhone and it was 9:00 pm. Where was Luke? I was beginning to worry. He'd left the hospital around 5:00 pm and had been gone since. I looked over at the kids who were curled up in the recliner, asleep, next to Leclaire. She had dozed off some, but was wide awake now. I stood up and walked over by her and took a seat on the sofa. Kaye was downstairs getting another cup of coffee. "Hey you," I smiled slightly, as I rubbed Leclaire's arm. "Hi honey," Leclaire whispered softly, so she wouldn't wake the kids. "How you holding up?" I asked, as I ruffled Cynthia's blonde curls. "Oh I'm okay. I just feel so bad for Kaye." I nodded. "Yeah, me too." But, I could tell from Leclaire's tear-filled eyes that she wasn't handling this too well. Tommy had been her first love, her only love. My heart ached for her. Even though she and Tommy had been divorced, they remained friends for their children's sake. After her and Tommy split, she never did fall in love again. I don't know what I would do if anything ever happened between Luke and I. He's my best friend and the love of my life. "Oh Carol, I'm so worried about Luke!" Leclaire cried. I rubbed her arm. "I know hun," I replied softly. "He was so close to his daddy, I worry about how he's handling this." Leclaire replied in between sniffles. I just held her hand and assured her that we were a strong family and would get through this.

Kaye walked in with her cup of coffee and joined me on the sofa. "How are you doing?" I asked her. "I feel so empty inside. I don't know what to think," Kaye spoke softly. I felt tears welling up in my eyes. Our family was so fragile and broken, it made my heart ache. I wanted a sign from Luke that he was okay. I hadn't heard from him since he left. My mind started to wander. Where was he? Was he okay? What if he did something irrational? I was desperate to know if he was okay. I called his cell, but it just went straight to voicemail. "Luke, baby, where are you? Are you okay? I've been worrying. Call me back. I love you." Just as I hung up, my phone went off again. The number was unrecognizable. "Hello?" I said into the phone. "Hey baby." It was Luke. Thank God. I could tell he'd been drinking, by the way he was slurring. "Oh Honey! Thank God!" I cried. "I've been so worried! Where are you?" He kind of chuckled. "Um, you're gonna be so pissed if I tell ya," Luke slurred. "Please just tell me," I demanded. I was hesitant to hear his response, because I knew it couldn't have been good. "Um well," he went on. "I'm in jail." A lump formed in my throat. "You're where?!" I exclaimed. "I kinda got into a bar fight tonight," Luke replied. I can't believe this! "With who?" I questioned him. There was a long pause. I sighed. "Thomas Luther, you better tell me right now," I demanded. I was getting angry.