chapter 3 - acl

*ೃ༄ your pov

Everything was all too sudden.

Not a single day of the past would've been enough to prepare me for this incident.

My eyes widened at the sight of Chigiri on the floor, bringing his right leg closer to his chest as he bit down on his lips to prevent himself from screaming in pain.

I threw my clipboard and stood up from the bench, blowing my whistle to pause the game as I ran towards Chigiri.

When we got to the school clinic, the nurse did whatever she could to stop the pain, even for a little bit.

That afternoon, I sat on the chair next to his bed, frowning at the sight of his back turned towards me. I didn't dare to speak, allowing him to shed the tears he did not wish for me to see.

I wasn't sure if he was afraid of injuring his leg and not being able to play soccer again, or if it's because he lost the one thing he had the most pride in.

If only I could understand the grief of losing something so dear to me. Maybe then, I'd be able to do something other than sit here, waiting for him to recover.

He was then sent to the hospital for further medical attention. His mom wanted me to come along to provide as witness for the soccer club since I was their manager.

Apparently, he tore his anterior cruciate ligament which is used to stabilize the knee joint.

The doctor warned him that if he were to tear this again, the chances of soccer being in his future would be unlikely.

‧˚₊•┈┈┈┈ ♕ ┈┈┈┈•‧₊˚⊹

"Isn't that the former genius?"

"Come on."

The sounds of the two students who were fangirling over him a couple weeks ago caught my attention.

"Isn't that the girl who got cheated on by the same guy multiple times?" I cooed, looking over my shoulder to make it known that I was referring to the girl in the bun.

The look in my eyes could be mistaken as playfulness, but it held nothing but resentment for the two of them.

"Calm down, L/n." Chigiri placed a hand on my shoulder.

The two students quickly took the opportunity to run away before I could say the things I was planning to say.

"How can I calm down when people are saying such things to you?" I asked, turning to him with a small frown.

"Oh? It's been a while, Mr. Genius. Why are you here?" one of the Wanima brothers approached with the other standing smugly behind him.

Another one...

"What are you worth now that you can no longer run and your talent's in tatters?" he whispered in his ear.

I examined Chigiri's expression. His eyes filled with sorrow and regret. This only fueled my anger even more.

"It's simply a matter of whether you have talent or not. Right?" he quoted something Chigiri said to them when we were walking home.

"Serves you right, former genius!" he laughed, spinning on his heels as he walked away from us.

My fist clenched from the inside of my pockets, pursing my lips as I tried to hold in the words I wanted to say to them. But knowing the man next to me, I'm sure he wouldn't want me to say anything.

Chigiri had physical therapy sessions to get his leg back in shape. I accompanied him in his every session since his mom and sister were busy and entrusted me with that role.