chapter 5 - closer

*ೃ༄ your pov

Staring blankly at the book, I rested my chin on the palm of my hand, my eyes and brain working together to come to the conclusion that I did not understand a single thing.

Earlier, we were given math homework, much to my dismay. I had no choice but to complete it within the day if I wanted to have some time for myself later.

Suddenly, a knock came from my door, disrupting the train of thoughts going through my head as my youngest brother peeked through the gap.

"Y/n, can you help me with my math homework?" he asked, showing his math book.

I told him to come in, offering to assist him in doing his homework that was due tonight. Apparently, he tried to ask for my help before, but I came home so late the other day that he didn't get the chance to ask.

"I don't get fractions." he said, sitting down on my bed as he placed the book flat on the mattress.

Standing up from my chair, I approached him, taking a quick glimpse at the book.

"What's your favorite flavor of cake, Haru?" I questioned, trying to think of a way to explain the topic to him in a way that he'd understand.

"I like strawberry." he answered, tilting his head to the side as he wondered why I would be asking such a thing.

"Now, imagine there's a strawberry cake in front of us."

"Where?"

"Imagine, Haru."

"Oh."

I then proceeded to use an old trick in the book in explaining how fractions work. You know, the slices of pie or cake being used to explain the topic.

"All that strawberry cake talk made me hungry." he groaned, laying on my bed.

"Dinner will be ready shortly. Go tell Gouta and Ren to help dad out." I ordered.

"Okay. Thanks." he replied, springing up as he ran to fulfill the duties I have inlaid upon him.

"Now, back to reality..." I sighed, going back to my desk to deal with the math problem at hand.

‧˚₊•┈┈┈┈ ♕ ┈┈┈┈•‧₊˚⊹

"Exchange numbers?" I repeated, blinking a couple of times at the young man who had made the request.

"Yeah, I was wondering if we could do that." he murmured, twirling the strands of his hair with his finger.

"But we live next to each other. We even attend the same club. We're in the same class as well." I retorted, not understanding why he would want to do that.

"Well, there are times when it'd be nice to call you after I sleep and before I wake up." he stammered, his nervousness beginning to show itself.

"After you sleep and before you wake up?" I echoed, using my hand to cover my mouth as I tried to stiffle my laughter.

"I-I mean before I sleep and after I wake up!" he quickly corrected, his cheeks turning into a rosy hue as he looked away.

"Sorry, I was just teasing you. Of course we can exchange numbers." I airily laughed.

I reached my hand into my pocket, pulling out my phone while he did the same. As we handed our phones to each other, our fingers brushed against each other, making the man even more flustered.

I took his phone, typing in my number and saving my contact information. I even added my name so that he'll know it's mine.

"It's a bit weird that we've been friends for years yet, we don't have each other's phone numbers." I remarked, handing his phone back to him.