Chapter 1 - Mistake and Moving

Neteyams pov -

My siblings and I were sitting peacefully with each other. We were all making necklaces and bracelets to help Tuk give to the people.

We all had our duties and took them very seriously, considering we were Toruk Maktos children.

My brother and I had to go around collecting wood for fire. I had two jobs, though, one being gathering wood for fire, another being watching after my siblings, mainly Lo'ak.

Kiri was to help grandma, and Tuk was to make necklaces for the people. Today, we helped Tuk. The sky people were starting to go out into the forest, so we had to stay put.

"I wonder where mother and father are. They have been gone for quite some time." Kiri chimed. We all nodded in agreement.

That's when we heard a lot of commotion coming from the entrance of our hiding place.

We all ran to see what was going on. Mother was crying, and father had a disappointed look on his face.

We all quickly ran over to our parents, wondering what on the Pandora had happened.

Tuk was quick to hug our mother along with Kiri following. My brother and I, on the other hand, ran to my father. We knew if we had tried to ask our mother, she would break down even more, so we asked our father instead.

"Father! What has happened?!" I questioned as Lo'ak went to get our grandmother.

"We.. I.. we have to leave the forest." Jake said, rubbing his temples.

I stood in shock. "What! Why?!" I questioned, trying to stay calm about the situation at hand.

"Your father has made a grave mistake!" My mother cried out.

"Father, what have you done?" I questioned, looking at my father with deep concern.

"It is not what I have done... it is what I didn't do." His father sighed before continuing, "Everyone! Meet around the spirit tree in an hour. Tell the others Toruk Makto has something to tell them!" My father shouted.

"My son.." Jake sighed. "Almost all of the  sky people have left Pandora... with the expectation that we will leave the forest and never come back. Some have stayed for research purposes but have stated that we must leave."

"But father.. why would you listen to them?" I questioned as tears came to my eyes.

"It is a lot to say.. but I will shorten it for you..." His father started, "The sky people have made us a deal. They said that if we leave the forest and go far away, they would stop and just stay for research purposes, quitting the whole program and sending the soldiers away. But.. they said that if... that if we didn't.. they would take you and your siblings and do terrible things. Me and your mother can not let that happen..." Jake sighed.

"Why can't you fight back?" I questioned, guilt entering me as I realized I had reached a limit on questions. My father did not like being questioned.

"We have tried, but they are too powerful. They will try to kill anyone and anything that gets in their path." Jake stated, "Now, go get your siblings and head to the spirit tree."

I decided to leave it at that. I had all the answers except one. Why did my father give it up so easily?

The question lingered in my head as I found my legs moving on their own towards my siblings.

"Guys... father says we must go to the spirit tree.. now." I said in a voice just above a whisper. They all looked at each other and sighed.

Lo'ak and Tuk started their walk with Mother, Kiri stayed behind. "Brother.. what is wrong?" She questioned.