Traitors Are Dead To Us

My head is pounding

My head is pounding. I can't pinpoint anything. My room swirls, dripping scarlet red and drenching everything in maniacal thoughts.

I guess Aaron was calling my name, because the next thing I know, the door is down. My brother is sprinting across the room and kneeling down next to me.

His words are blurry. It doesn't make sense to me. Nothing makes sense to me.

I lunge away from him, suddenly seeing an identical face instead of his. It's older, more rugged. I hate it. I want to murder it. I lunge for the knife in my boot to realize that it is no longer there. It's in the hands of the man.

I turn over, avoiding the bullet whizzing past me. I can barely see my knives on the table, but I throw them anyway. They land in perfect accuracy, pinning the man to the wall by his jacket.

Run. My body tells me.

But my mind tells me different. That's what he wants you to do. Stand and fight.

I grab one of the knives off the wall and dig it into his arm. His legs are still fighting, but I pin them down. I deliver the final blow to his head.

"Well done," my father says, bleeding out from the wall.

And suddenly, I feel my life drain.

My eyes open. My actual eyes. I see a worried pair of green emeralds staring back at me. His hair is identical to my father's, but his face is younger. It's full of worry.

My father never looks at me like that.

"Is she done?" Aaron yells at my father. "Haven't you done enough for tonight?"

I wait, and I'm afraid he will say no. I'm afraid I'll have to go back to that place. My father grants me mercy today.

Aaron strips the belts and chains that were keeping my body tied to the metal board. I'm too weak to help.

I feel myself being lifted into a pair of familiar arms. I put one arm around his shoulder and use my legs to slowly orient myself.

"Shut up," my brother says, even though I'm too weak to say anything. "Don't even try to walk in this state."

A few moments later, I'm back in my soft bed. I can't be sure, but I think I saw a pair of icy blue eyes watching me from the door.

________________________________________________________________________________

I shove some food down my throat. It feels weird like all the taste has been drained out. I don't complain and walk to find my brother. He's making an example today, and I need to be with him.

He sees me as I approach the roof and lifts his eyebrows.

How are you?

I shrug.