My Father Taught Me Not To Cry

Someone continues to pound on a hard surface

Someone continues to pound on a hard surface. The pounding is getting weaker. Slower. There's a low, guttural sound of agony.

There's the thud of a body against the door, and I'm afraid it's mine. Someone is holding me upright as I gain consciousness. I feel warm, sticky, liquid oozing out of a wound in my shoulder.

"Adam!" someone cries—Kenji. Kenji is keeping me safe. He coughs. "Please, man, if you're in there—"

The door opens after several beeps. There's someone oddly familiar who is pointing his gun toward the door.

"Kenji? What—"

Kenji lets out a short wheeze. A muffled groan. "Shit, man, what took you so long? She's practically dead."

"What the hell are you doing here?" Click. I can hardly see through the murkiness of my thoughts, but it's clear Adam isn't happy to have company. "Who sent you here? Who are you with?"

Kenji swears a few more times under his breath. "Look at me. Look at her," he demands, gesturing towards me. It sounds more like a plea. "You think we came up here to kill you?"

Adam pauses. Breathes. Doubts. "I have no problem putting a bullet in your back. Especially Alex frikin' Warner."

Kenji sighs. "Don't worry, bro. I already have a bullet in my back. Or my leg. Or some shit. I don't even know, and Alex—she saved my life. She got shot protecting you two. Who do you think distracted half the guards? You think they just decided not to show up?"

Adam opens the door. "Get up."

Kenji says, "It's all right, I don't mind if you drag my ass inside. Grab Alex, would you?"

Adam works his jaw. He doesn't make any attempt to help me. Good. I don't want it. "I don't want your blood on my carpet. It's not something my brother needs to see."

A brother.

Adam Kent has a brother.

I focus in on a little blonde head staring up at me as I tell him stories of castles and dragons.

Kenji stumbles up and staggers into the room. He places me gently on the couch and I apply pressure to the red spot. Kenji stops. Blinks. Breaks into a ridiculous smile dimmed only by a slight grimace from the pain. "Holy shit," he says, still drinking someone next to me in. "Holy shit." He tries to laugh. "Dude, you're insane—"

"The bathroom is over here." Adam is set in stone.

Kenji moves forward but keeps looking back. He laughs harder, flinches, wheezes a bit. "Dude, you brought the crazy chicks to your house? Warner is going to kill you."

"You brought his sister here. You think he won't kill you too?" Adam retorts.

Kenji frowns. "That's a good point. Can you take care of Alex?"