They're Looking For Us

"I'm really happy you're taking it so well—I am—but James, this really isn't something to be excited about

"I'm really happy you're taking it so well—I am—but James, this really isn't something to be excited about. We're running for our lives," Adam says.

"But we're doing it together," James says for the fifth time, a huge grin overcrowding his face. He took a liking to Kenji almost too quickly, and now the pair of them are conspiring to turn our predicament into some kind of elaborate mission, and of course, I'm helping. I continue to ruffle James's hair as he says, "And I can help!"

"No, it's not—"

"Of course you can—"

Adam and Kenji speak at the same time. Kenji recovers first. "Why can't he help? Ten years old is old enough to help."

"That's not your call," Adam says, careful to control his voice. He's staying calm for his brother's sake. "And it's none of your business."

I squeeze James tightly. "I think it's his decision, Adam. Respect his choice."

"I'll finally get to come with you," James says, trying to wrestle from my grip. His blonde hair is spread out everywhere. "And I want to help."

Adam takes a few deep breaths—granting me mercy since his brother and I were practically a package, before turning to Kenji.

"How far?"

"By foot?" Kenji looks uncertain for the first time. "At least a few hours. If we don't do anything stupid, we should be there by nightfall."

"And if we take a car?"

I cover James's ears when I see the glint in Kenji's eyes. He pushes me off.

Kenji blinks. "Well, shit, Kent, why didn't you say so sooner?"

"Watch your mouth around my brother."

I smile. "I think it's the other way around."

James rolls his eyes and stops struggling against my grip. "I hear worse stuff than that every day. Even Benny uses bad words."

"Benny?" Adam's eyebrows stumble up his forehead.

"Yup."

"What does she—" He stops. "That doesn't mean it's okay for you to keep hearing it."

"I'm almost eleven!"

I hold my hand up. "Wait...is it the Benny? The one you're always asking for advice about?"

Adam blinks, then looks at James. "You talk about your love life with this homicidal maniac?"

James looks ready to slide onto the floor and combust.

"So, what—you stole a car?" Kenji asks.

Adam sighs. "A tank."

I want to slap him. "That was you?"