My Escape From Hell

I stick close to Kenji as we move stealthily through Sector 45

I stick close to Kenji as we move stealthily through Sector 45. I can't believe I actually agreed to this.

"But not without Warner."

That was our deal. Kenji seemed reluctant at first, but eventually, he agreed to my ultimatum. I need to get my brother out of here—away from our father. He might protest, but I'll drag him kicking and screaming to Omega Point if I have to.

That's where Kenji's taking us; To meet the famous Castle he's always gushing about.

It's dark outside. The Sector is near dead silent. I don't exactly know what Kenji is looking for, but he seems intent on his target. We pass by my bedroom, and I give a feeble wave to my comfort zone.

"Oof."

We slam into someone. I detect harsh levels of shouts building up in their throat.

"Kent," I decide.

"Shit man," Kenji says. "Did you bring the crazy girls?"

"Don't call them crazy."

I realize that Adam is touching Julia and Juliette. As in skin-to-skin contact. He seems fine, or alive at least. I hold my questions for later. Kenji doesn't.

"You can touch her?" He practically yells.

I shove him ahead of me and slam the palm of my hand across his mouth. "Are you trying to get us killed?"

Kent's eyes widen. "She's coming?"

Kenji wriggles out from my grip. "Yes."

"Hell no."

"Look, man. We don't have time to argue. Alex knows how to get out of here fast. Our survival chances go up by more than half percent if she's with us."

I look at him, incredulously. "Have you never picked up a math book in your life?"

"Nope!"

I feel Juliette's hand on my shoulder. I don't know if she did that because she wants to comfort me, or because she is scared of getting caught. Either way, I drop it back at her side.

"We don't have time for this shit," I say.

I push Kenji behind me so that I am in front of everyone and take out a handgun from my vest. I shove bullets inside and test its weight. It's been a while since I've used a gun. They're more Aaron's style than my own.

"You're not going to kill anyone with that, right?" Juliette asks, timidly.

Kent looks annoyed. Kenji looks like a maniacal jack-in-the-box.

"Obviously," Julia snaps.

I shoot the gun forward and whip out an identical one so that both hands contain one weapon each.

"You're Jespering!" Kenji exclaims.

Not the time

I do smile though, once I've turned around.

"I have a plan," I say. "If you want to stay alive, then don't fall behind."

________________________________________________________________________________

We've split up. Adam took the sisters down to the exit point, while Kenji and I are clearing a path out of here.

I turn the corner and slam the butt of my gun into a soldier's face. Kenji catches him as he falls to the ground and tosses him into an empty storage closet.

"We need to find Warner," I say, shooting my silencing pistol forward as Kenji sneaks up behind the next soldier and presses his arm up against his throat.

He collapses once again.

"Hey!" Someone yells from behind us. "What are you doing?"

We exchange a panicked look and run forward, leaping over the pile of soldiers we took down. They create a barrier for our assailant, allowing us to disappear down to the basement, where another exit point is.

"We'll come back for him after we do our job," Kenji pants.

I want to protest, but he's right.

The two of us start making a racket. We need to draw as much attention away from Kent and the Ferrars as possible.

"It's time to start a riot!" Kenji bellows.

I don't understand if that's a reference or not, but by this time, ten guards have flung themselves into the room. Then they double. They block every exit, even the one Kenji and I planned to go through.

"I think," Kenji says, nervously. "We may be way over our heads."

The soldiers point their guns at us. They wait for us to make a move. I see that the exit door is on the other side of the room. If Kenji can get to that, we may be able to get out of here alive.

I chuckle. "Get to the door, I've got this."

And I'm off.

"I'm gonna get ambushed running to the door, woman! Who in the Captain Marvel shit do you think you—oh never mind."

He runs to the door as I cover him. Some of the guards hesitate to shoot.

I don't.

My two guns have enough damage between them to level a city. Surprise, they shoot fire. At least, that's what I make them do. I've never done this before. Only in secret tests inside my room.

I hear Kenji is successful. The door wrenches open. I'm ready to run like hell when I hear a familiar voice.

"What in—?"

It's Aaron.

I hesitate, and that's enough to get me killed.

My head swarms with blood. Kenji curses out the entire planet. One day I'm going to have to shove one of Aaron's scented soaps down Kenji's throat, and even then it might not be enough.

If I even live that long.

"Wait..." I mumbled, reaching out at an invisible pair of arms.

Then.

Everything.

Goes.

Completely.

Dark.