I'm Not Anyone's Sheild

I wake up on something soft and unfamiliar

I wake up on something soft and unfamiliar. There's movement around me, and some mumbling that sounds suspiciously like Kenji. I don't open my eyes at first, afraid that if I do, something worse will happen.

That's how it always starts.

"—kill you," Kenji finishes. He's talking to someone who keeps checking up on me. It's a random guy—Peter, I think.

"I know you're awake," a sly voice taunts me.

I open my eyes and slap Kenji's face, which is dangling over mine. "You drugged an eleven-year-old."

Kenji swears and stumbles back. "Jeez, okay. I deserved that, but could you at least slap the other side of my face to match?"

I grin and pull my arm back. "Sure."

He backs up. "No! Just chill out okay? Juliette keeps thrashing around, asking for you. She thinks we've killed you or something."

I sigh. "How long have I been out?"

"Three days."

I fall off the bed. "Goddam it Kenji!"

"You needed it!"

"What I need is to slap you into next week."

"Bold of you to assume I'll live that long."

"If you don't get me out of here now, I can shorten that time gap."

Kenji grips onto my arm and shoves me through the door. We run through Omega Point. I take note of the endless doors and passing kids that seem to be living in a false sense of security.

Somehow, I envy them.

We enter another medical room, where I can see a familiar girl kicking and screaming at two women dressed in a type of medical uniform. Another darker-haired girl tries to hold her down.

I don't understand why Juliette wants me of all people here. Why not Adam? Why does she care if I die or not?

I certainly don't.

Julia lights up as she sees me. "Look, she's not dead!"

Juliette finally stops thrashing. She collapses in her sisters arms and raises her head to meet my eyes. She relaxes, which is strange. My eyes are fiery and constantly burning—not at all calming or relaxing.

"Hey, beautiful," Kenji says, brightly.

"I'm sorry I almost killed you," Juliette blurts out.

"It was fucking awesome!" Julia excalims.

Kenji snorts. "Oh." He startles. Shoves his hands into his pockets. "Well. Glad we got that out of the way."

"I panicked," Juliette tries to explain, but she keeps looking toward me, as if I'm supposed to strangle her.