I No Longer Want To Shatter

Brenden is just as fast as lightning

Brenden is just as fast as lightning. Julia has to tug on my hand harder each time he sprints up and turns a corner. I half expect him to turn into an animal and begin sprinting across the wild-west, dragging us two radioactive bombs along with him.

I freeze. Gods, I sound like Kenji. Speaking of which, he's disappeared on me for the second time in under ten minutes. That's a new record, considering he never leaves my side for more than two mediocre seconds. The guy is like a leech, but that's just one of the things I love so much about him.

We enter another one of these metallic doors. They seems to loom over us, intwining their shadows with ours and pulling us deeper into what I can only hope isn't a slaughterhouse.

Inside is every single outfit you could ever wish for. They're all hung on hangers, made up of various materials that were said to be eradicated.

"We're looking for your suits," Brenden tells us. He marches through the middle of the room and rifles through a large box full of random objects. I wonder how he'll ever find anything in there, but instead, he turns around and enters the closet.

He disappears beneath the clothes and enters a never-ending hallway of fabric.

The only thing I can think of, is how much my brother would love this room; How long it would take for him to arange and re-arrange everything over and over again. How many hours he'd spend colour-coding the outfits, and chastising me on wearing three different colours each time I go out.

My heart clenches for what feels like the thousandth time today.

"What colours look best on you?" Julia asks me.

I still wonder if the sisters can read my mind because this is starting to get a little odd. They seem to pick up on every little thing I think about.

"Red," I say simply.

That's what Aaron says.

Julia clicks her tongue, raking her eyes over me. "Red looks good on everyone, but damn, you're right."

Aaron is right.

Julia stops for a moment, moving her arms closer to herself as she continues to stare at my expression. "I'm going to get you to loosen up, y'know."

I roll my eyes. "Kenji has been trying for months."

"I'm not Kenji."

"Clearly."

Julia gasps, "Is that sarcasm?"

"One of the many languages I can speak fluently."

Before Julia can ask what other languages I can insult her in, Brenden returns. In his hands are two tight-fitted suits, each equipped to hold more weapons than the entirety of Sector 45.

"How do I already know you're going to rock that piece of leather?"

________________________________________________________

We join Juliette in the medical room. Kenji seems to be bugging both her and Adam. Juliette stares at her boyfriend—or her 'stupid-ass boy toy' as Julia keeps ranting about. She's changed into a suit similar to Julia and I, except the Ferrars sisters have gloves coating everything up to their fingertips, while mine are fingerless.

Juliette turns around at the sound of footsteps, and I swear she's fainted. She won't move. Her eyes are fixated on a point behind me, leaving Adam as a meaningless body murmuring after her.

I wait for Kenji to turn around, and when he does, he slams me into a bone-crushing hug. "I haven't seen you for hours."

"It's been half an hour at the maximum," I reply shortly, refusing to tell him that I feel the same.

He ruffles my hair and steps back, still holding onto my hands. "I don't understand how you make that look good."

I pick at my suit. It's different from my old one; It feels more comfortable—like it's been suited to my unique needs. I no longer feel the need to start a spark at everything I see.

"Adam," Julia laughs. "I think you got some competition."

He whips around. "What?"

"Juliette seems rather interested in that plant."

Juliette blushes furiously and turns away from us.

Adam shakes his head and takes her hand in his. He kisses the back of it and laughs it off, grinning at the fact that he's alive.

Juliette's eyes continue to wander, and I can't help wondering where to.

"Hey!" Julia shoves Kenji's hands off mine. "Back off. She's my best friend now."

Kenji feins annoyance. "Excuse me? I was here before you're sorry-ass."

"Fine, then I'm her wife. You can't beat that, now can you?"

Kenji's mouth is wide open. He gapes at me. "You can't be okay with this, right?"

I shrug and pull on Julia's hand. I flash my finger forward as Julia slips on an imaginary ring. "Sorry. Marriage is a bigger commitment."

Julia smiles. "There's her humorous side. I'm surprised you don't show it more often."

I've never wanted to, because doing so would undoubtedly get me killed. But I'm in a new place—somewhere where there are people like me.

I no longer want to shatter.

I want to break free. 

________________________________________________________

AN: Shatter Me first act is officially finished! Let me know your thoughts for Act 2