• nine •

Ayden was up before Sadie was. Long before Sadie was. She was dressed in black jeans, a black halter top, and a gray blazer before Sadie had budged. She had brushed and restraightened her hair before Sadie had stirred the first time. She had put on pink lipstick and clipped her hair before she heard Sadie's stomach growl in her sleep. She'd put on blush and her glasses before Zia came to check on them, concerned. She'd tied her faux leather boots before Sadie rolled over and gone back to sleep. She'd eaten breakfast and brushed her teeth before she started getting fresh clothes out for Sadie.

It was almost lunchtime before Sadie got up. Ayden was sipping coffee when she'd gotten up, her hair a wild mess.

"What time is it?"

"Almost lunch. Get dressed." Ayden pointed at the pile of clothes on the mat beside Sadie's bed. She sat up and picked up the black cotton pants and cream linen shirt.

"Thanks?"

"I thought it'd match your combat boots. And maybe impress Anubis." Ayden winked, teasing her sister.

"Shut up!" Sadie's face went red.

"Oh, you're adorable." She reached over and pinched Sadie's cheek. "Wanna borrow my lipstick?"

Sadie paused. "Could I?"

Ayden snickered. "No! I'm teasing. Dad would be horrified, anyway. He's barely used to my habits and I'm fourteen. I've worn lipstick for two years now and always worn clothes like these. He'll be horrified if you showed up wearing lipstick. And hey, don't forget the overcoat."

Ayden pointed to the black cotton cardigan. "It's best to have something with sleeves. I learned that the hard way."

Once Sadie had changed and brushed her hair, putting a fresh streak of color in it, they headed down to eat a quick lunch. Zia and Amos waited for them.

"There you are!" Amos said with a smile. He enveloped the girls a hug. "We should talk strategy after you eat, so do it quickly."

Ayden scarfed down a turkey, cheese, and tomato sandwich. Sadie ate much slower, though Ayden drank another cup of tea as she was finishing. Once the girls were done, Amos pulled them aside.

It was ten minutes before they could leave, because Sadie insisted on brushing her teeth three times. She would have done it a fourth time, but Ayden dragged her out and they climbed back above ground.

"So, 'Dee," Ayden said, bringing back her old nickname, "where're we going?"

"There's a shrine to Isis on the river just south of Cairo. Let's go there."

"Nice," Ayden said sarcastically. "It's not an auspicious moment yet. Take a breather?"

"Sure," Zia agreed. "But I thought Sadie did the portals?"

"She just chants until an auspicious moment. Me, I rely on my new mental grandfather clock. A little annoying, yes, when I'm trying to fall asleep, but I've gotten used to it. Mostly."

"When did you get this fancy new clock?"

"In California. When I left. Rome is still alive, which I must say, shocked me a little."

"Didn't you seek them out?" Sadie interjected.

Ayden opened her mouth, but then her mental clock chimed. "Oh, would you look at the time! Portal time."

She turned away from the others, cheeks red. She could hear Sadie snickering behind her. She closed her eyes, then summoned her staff and wand from the Duat, spinning them and chanting. A swirling sand portal opened before them.

"Come on, then, ladies," Ayden said with a grin. "Let's go summon a goddess."

They stepped through the portal, reappearing next to the shrine.

Sadie turned to Ayden and gave her a meaningful look.

"Really?" Ayden sighed. "Now? I don't want to terrorize them with your horrible terracotta-planter-shabti."

"Rude," Sadie scoffed.

"Why can't we just use mine?"

"Because I need to talk to them too."

"Really?" Ayden complained.

"Yes, really!"

She sighed. "Fine."

Ayden wasn't really sure how it worked, but she could talk to people through her shabti. It was made of clay and was her height, with very human features. It was almost identical to her, with a wig glued on that was identical to her hair when it wasn't straightened or in braids.

Sadie, on the other hand, had no hand for sculpting, instead using terracotta planters to make a vaguely human sculpture that was held together with duct tape and magic string.

Ayden sighed. "Alright. Let's do it." She walked out of earshot, gesturing for Zia to remain behind. She sat down and closed her eyes, sending out her consciousness, her ba, to her shabti.

It worked.

🪄⛲️

Yep. I'm great at cliffhangers. Let's just... not murdering me would be great.