• one •

Ayden sighed, tugging her yellow shirt. "Must I go to this school?"

Sadie grinned. "Yes, indeed!" she cheered. "Carter and Zia are going too, and we just can't leave out a Kane! Especially the middle sibling."

Ayden sighed, pulling on her cotton fleece coat. Jaz laughed, grabbing her own coat and sitting down for breakfast.

Carter came stumbling down the stairs, wearing a t-shirt and pants with sneakers.

"I really think this is a bad idea," Carter mumbled.

"Exactly," Zia agreed. "All three of us received education from those around us."

"I did actual homeschooling, though," Ayden admitted. "Carter learned about basketball and Egyptian myths and Zia... what did you learn?"

"How to be a scribe."

"Helpful," Ayden muttered.

Ayden managed to force down her pancakes, twining her fingers with Jaz, nervous.

"You'll be fine," Jaz assured her. "The only thing you need to pick is what you'll be doing in your elective."

"I thought we decided I was doing jewelry making? With Walt?"

"But you didn't tell them yet, right?"

Ayden spat out her orange juice. "I'm supposed to tell them?"

"Uh..."

"I've only ever had to fill out online forms my whole life, Jaz!"

Sadie blanched. "That'll be a story."

"Excuse me? I only got through first and half of second grade before I started homeschooling!"

"Yuh-huh," Carter agreed.

The two older Kanes exchanged looks.

Great.

🪄⛲️

Yup... really short... I'm so sorry for this.