• twelve •

Ayden followed the two girls down the black sand beach. She studied her little sister's posture silently.

Something's upset her, she said to Nephthys.

"I know," the goddess responded. "Poor girl."

Poor girl, but it's not just the Anubis situation. Nor is it entirely Walt. I just don't know what.

"I cannot guide you through this. I was never the eldest of my siblings, only the most levelheaded. You must figure this out on your own."

Helpful, Ayden thought sarcastically.

"Very mature," Nephthys said dryly.

Wasn't trying to be.

"Evidently."

Ayden imagined blowing a raspberry at Nephthys who cracked up laughing.

Ayden snickered too, until Zia turned around to raise an eyebrow. She composed herself immediately.

Tawaret the caretaker beamed when she saw them.

"Sadie!" she called. "You're early this week! And you've brought a friend."

Tawaret traded her high heels for flip-flops. Otherwise she was dressed in her usual white nurse's uniform. Her mascara and lipstick were tastefully done, for a hippo, and her luxuriant black hair was pinned under a nurse's cap. Her ill-fitting blouse opened over an enormous belly was a sign of permanent pregnancy, as she was the goddess of childbirth.

She embraced Sadie without crushing her.

"Tawaret," Sadie said, "this is Ayden, she's my older sister —" Ayden braced for the hug she received. "— and Zia Rashid!" Tawaret's smile faded. "Oh... Oh, I see."

Ayden had never seen the hippo goddess so uneasy. Did she some how know that Zia had melted her wheelchair and torched her daisies?

As the silence got awkward, Tawaret recovered her smile.
"Sorry, yes. Hello, Zia. It's just that you look... well, never mind! Are you a friend of Bes's too?"

"Uh, not really," Zia admitted. "I mean, I suppose, but —"

"We're here on a mission," Sadie said. "Things in the upper world have gone a bit wonky."

Assertive, Ayden said, making Nephthys laugh again.

Sadie told Tawaret about the rebel magicians, Apophis's plans for attack, and their crazy scheme to find the serpent's shadow and stomp it to death.

Tawaret mashed her hippoish hands together. "Oh, dear.
Doomsday tomorrow? Bingo night was supposed to be Friday. My poor darlings will be so disappointed..."

She glanced down the beach at her senile charges, some of whom were drooling in their sleep or eating black sand or trying to talk to the lava.

Tawaret sighed. "I suppose it would be kinder not to tell them. They've been here for eons, forgotten by the mortal world. Now they have to perish along with everyone else. They don't deserve such a fate."

Ayden wanted to remind her that no one deserved such a fate — not her friends, not her family, and certainly not any of the unsuspecting mortals. But Tawaret was so kindhearted, she didn't want to sound selfish. She didn't seem concerned for herself at all, just the fading gods she cared for.

"We're not giving up yet," Sadie promised.

"But this plan of yours!" Tawaret shuddered. "It's impossible!"

"Like reviving the sun god?" Ayden asked, looking up.

She conceded that with a shrug. "Very well, dear. I'll admit you've done the impossible before. Nevertheless..." She glanced at Zia, as if their friend's presence still made her nervous. "Well, I'm sure you know what you're doing. How can I help?"