Chapter Thirty One

Keep being amazing

I found this note at school a few weeks ago on my locker. I don't know who it was from but it surely made my day much better than it was. The fact that someone would even think of it amazes me. Now it is hung up on my mirror so I am reminded everyday that I am my own amazing self because every now and then I really do need that reminder.

So just remember, not just for me but for yourselves, to keep being who you are, amazing and wonderful human beings. Don't let anyone push you down when you are capable of standing tall and being unique. It may not seem like it, but it is much better to be different and stand out than to blend in and be the same as everybody else.

---------

Liane's POV

Saturday afternoon, I step out the doorway and onto the back patio of the Lynch's house. My hands are full with several bags of chips that are ready for eating. Riker stands in front of the grill, making up some burgers, hotdogs, or grilled chicken.

"Mm, it smells delicious," I tell him, inhaling the scent of the cooking food.

"I sure hope it does," he chuckles, taking a quick glance at me before flipping a burger. "Let's hope it tastes as good as it smells."

I smile and walk back inside to get the rest of the food to set up the party. I almost bump into Rydel who skillfully balances a platter of the fruits that are currently in season. Luckily, I move out of the way just in time, saying excuse me and giving my apologies.

"Anything else I can help with, Mrs. Lynch?" I ask politely.

"No I think Cheryl and I have got it from here, but thank you. And, please, call me Stormie," she adds with a sweet smile.

I give her one in return and walk back outside to the picnic table next to the grill. I pull my jacket tighter around my body as the cooler breeze blows through. It is a little early in the year to be having a BBQ but how else would we celebrate R5 getting a record label?

Yes, that's right. R5 got a deal with Hollywood Records. Apparently there was an agent sent to their concert last Thursday and R5 had surprised them with how great they sounded that night. They got a call the next morning from the agent, saying he was willing to give them a record deal. Of course they couldn't deny it.

And so here we are, having a BBQ in the middle of January to celebrate the band's accomplishment. The pool would've been involved but it's still winter. Even though we are in California, it still gets a little too cold to go swimming.

For me anyway, I think as I watch Ross cannonball into the water, screaming on the top of his lungs in excitement. Ryland shortly copies his actions. Seconds later, they surface, yelling once again but this time about how cold the water is.

I laugh and look back to the door where I see more people coming. They must be the other guests invited to the party. I recognize that the large group of people are from school. As they crowd around Rydel, I try to remember their names: Lori, Alexa, Savannah, and her brother, Brandon. I eventually see Justine arrive with her siblings. She immediately walks over to Rocky, the twins running over to the edge of the pool to greet Ross and Ryland. A few eighth graders, Ross' friends, join the party too, also going over to the pool. As of Riker's friends, it's just me.

I sigh as I look over across the yard, my eyes landing on Rocky and Justine making out on one of the lounge chairs by the pool. I hate how Rocky teases his older brother like this. He deliberately makes out with Justine right in front of him. He doesn't even think about how he is making Riker feel. He doesn't notice how much his brother has changed since almost two weeks ago when he first asked her out. I can't believe that he doesn't notice how Riker is less enthusiastic about things.