Chapter 14

Ringo avoided me for the next few days and I had an inkling he was mad at me.

I came home one evening after doing the food shop and the house was covered with lit candles. "Ritch?" I put the keys down and take off my shoes. "In the living room." I hear him say. "Is there a power cut or something? You might want to check the fuse box." I walk into the living room and look at him. "Going somewhere?" I ask, looking at the smart tux he's wearing. "I- no- I wore this for you tiger." He smiles.

"Why? You don't have to." I walk into the kitchen and put the bags down. "Poppie.." He sighs and follows me. "I'm just gonna come out and say it okay? I don't want you freaking out and running off or something because you can't run away from the truth." He says to me. I look at him. "What is it then?"

"Poppie I think I'm in love with ye." He gulps. Why? What have I got that you love? I'm engaged and i-

"Poppie? Ye haven't said anything.." he waves his hand in my face and I flinch. "Fuck-sorry I forgot." He apologizes. "I- I don't love you." I finally say. "Oh.." he looks down. "I kinda figured, after the other day, it being just sex an all." He sighs.

"Yes... well uhm- yes." I start putting the shopping away. "I'll clean up all the candles for ye." He walks off and I sigh.

I walk up into my bedroom and shut the door and finally breathe properly. I can't believe he said that to me, I'm with someone else! I sit on my bed and open my favourite book, Pride and Prejudice. I always loved this book, I loved the Mr Darcy and the Mr Darcy and also the Mr Darcy. He was just so sweet and handsome.

I read until the early hours of the morning and as I'm about to sleep there's a crash downstairs. I get up and creep downstairs. "Ritch?" I gulp and look around.

"Poppie wooo." I hear a giggle. "Daphne?" I turn the light on. My stripper friend Daphne (who was also the club owner Toms wife), dressed in a red skin tight dress and holding a bottle of wine was sat on my sofa. "What are you doing here?" I ask.

"I- you know what Penelope, I have no fuckin clue." She giggles and hiccups. "Does Tom know you're here?" I ask and snatch the bottle off her. "Oh yessss he sent me hereeee, you're sup-suppossed to be working tonight ssoo I came to collect you- you know what Penelope."

I sigh. "What."

"I'm fucking high as a kite right now, i- I actually got you sum weed for the journey." She reaches into her bra and pulls out a joint. "What journey?" I ask and take it. "Ohh Tommy got us a big big job, big big as in big cock." She hiccups and laughs. "Shhh! There's someone sleeping upstairs. Who is this big big cock attached to then?"

"Oh-" she whispers. "Sum big businessman in London, he's got like, a shit tonne of money and we are getting all the Dosh, you know, we'll be millionaires." She whispers, her Peckham accent coming through. "How much are you talking?" I light my joint. "Tommy said I could buy a house with it." She smiles drunkingly. "But I might invest in those big furry cocks- I mean coke- coat, sorry cock and drugs are on my mind sweetheart."

"Right." I smoke and help her up. "Let- let's go then." I look around then leave with her.