Chapter 6

Art had always been an escape for you

Art had always been an escape for you. Body art, of all shapes and forms. When you were a kid, you used to draw on your body, until you discovered body paint. Then you did that for a while, until you had met Kim Soobin. Three years older than you, with a full sleeve of tattoos and a love for poetry, Soobin had been the first man you had ever loved. He had taught you how to tattoo, and had left his legacy on your skin, and on your heart.

Soobin had trained you, before you had opened your shop. Had brought in your first clients, speaking praises of you until you were the talk of the field, and people found themselves curious to find out who was that new talent. Soon enough, you didn't need Soobin anymore, to make a name out of yourself, but you had kept him around.

Young love never lasts, but with him, it did. And sometimes, loving isn't enough. The universe has different plans, and suddenly you take a side road, and you lose the thing that matters the most. That was what happened with Soobin – only he had been the one to take the side road. He had been the one driving in heavy rain, and he had been the one to die at the hands of a drunk truck driver.

Sometimes, you wondered if you'd still have him around, hadn't it been for the few fractions of seconds that had led to the truck hitting his car head on. You liked to tell yourself that you would have, and that you'd be considering getting married.

Maybe that, most of all, rendered you completely unavailable for anyone else. And it was okay, it wasn't like you were looking. You rather enjoyed your temporary connections, and the freedom that it allowed you.

You sighed, pushing your hair behind your ear. Your evening client hadn't shown up, which had led to you deciding to play with some body paint, trying to figure out what your next tattoo could be. And though you already had a dagger tattooed on your ribs, you found yourself painting one on your thigh, but this time it was made of night and stars.

Perhaps Jeon Jungkook's effect on you was lasting longer than you had expected it would.

You startled as your phone started ringing, Aera's name lighting up the screen. You looked down at your paint-covered fingers, before looking at your phone again. Letting it ring until it fell into silence. And as silence filled the air around you again, you focused on your thigh once more. Fell back into the galaxies, and the memories that they held.

No man had ever made you feel as good as Jungkook had. Not even Soobin. And Jungkook had been sweet about it. You had expected him to be cocky, after the whole ordeal, but he had offered you a drink of water. Had asked you if you wanted to eat something, or if you preferred going home. When you had chosen the latter, he had smiled sweetly, before calling you a taxi. He hadn't talked about seeing you again, and hadn't contacted you after that.

Maybe that, more than anything, was the reason why you were painting stars and galaxies on your skin right now.

You scoffed, looking up from your thigh, your eyes darting to the vitrine of your shop, and to the street behind it. It was raining heavily, dark clouds looming low on the horizon, and really you felt like going home. Going home and cozying up into a soft blanket, but you didn't like the rain.