Chapter 12

It was a cold morning, the next day

It was a cold morning, the next day. As rain fell relentlessly, in a light shower that covered the world in droplets of water, until everything was wet. Wet and sad, sogging like a dog abandoned outside. Even the tent was cold and wet. Even with the body of the man beside you.

You had been looking at him for a while, in the gray morning light. Jungkook had fallen asleep crying, last night, and his eyes were all puffed up, even with the serenity sleep had given him. You didn't know if you had slept – most of you had just wanted to engrave the feeling of him against you in your memory.

Maybe you had dozed off, at some point, because you hadn't realized it was raining until everything was wet, humidity clinging to your every move.

Not that you moved at all, lying there and looking at Jungkook.

You wondered what had gotten him to cry like that last night. Had it been Sena, and the conversation they had had? Because you believed him, when he said they had just talked. It wasn't like he would have gained anything by lying.

Or was it because of the blame Jimin had thrown at him?

You didn't want to think it had been because of you. You doubted you held a place important enough in his life to have him break down like that, when he had been the one to disappear into the night.

You imagined what Soobin would have said, if he had been there. And it was a stupid thing to do, because if Soobin had been there you never would have been with Jungkook. You never would have made a deal with the devil.

The tears you had cried last night didn't come back. Their heaviness lingered, in the air around you. In the rain and the grayness of the world outside, but they didn't come back.

When Jungkook woke up, his peaceful features fell into a frown. Eyes staying close, and you forced yours to move away from his face, until you were looking at his shoulder. Because you didn't want him to know you had been staring at him like that.

Engraving his features into your heart.

His eyelids fluttered open, and he remained unmoving for a while. Gazing up at the canvas of the tent, as if it held the answers to the universe. As if he was seeing the movie of last night on there, replaying in a constant loop that had his eyes tearing up again.

He only then blinked a few times, before turning until he was facing you. You felt his gaze on you, for a long time, as neither of you spoke. As you both knew the end had come, even if you wished to hold onto the moment for a little longer.

You could hear your friends waking up outside. Complaining about the rain, saying it was a good thing you were leaving early today. And Jungkook just kept looking at you, while you stared at his chest. While you imagined his skin under the oversized dark gray shirt he was wearing.

"Good morning", he eventually said, with a voice scrappy with sleep. Sleep and sorrow, maybe.

You met his gaze. Balked at the sight of the dim light of his galaxies. It hurt to see them now, when you knew you were going to end things.