Chapter 8 - Dario

CHAPTER EIGHT

CHAPTER EIGHT

"DARIO," MY MOTHER greets me with a warm smile. The tall woman descended the stairs with her head held high, the grace that radiated from her was unparalleled. Her dark locs that all her children inherited from her cascaded down her back in waves.

Her signature earrings dangled as her walk slowed down until she stood in front of me. I gave a nod to the guard next to her. The man has been with us since I was born. He has been my mother's guard for a long time and a figure in our household that we all recognise.

"Where are you going?" A hint of curiosity could be heard in my voice.

"Almost like your papa." She lays a hand on my cheek. "I'm heading to Mrs Bozzelli's house. The poor woman needs help for the funeral arrangements." Mother donned herself in a cape dress that stopped below the knee matched with short heels.

The rat wasn't a Made Man so the Famiglia wasn't obligated to help with the funeral arrangements and the new recruits don't want to be associated with a rat so no one is helping the woman.

"Does papà know?" He wouldn't let her leave like that.

She raises a brow at me and removes her hand from my cheek, "I don't need your father's permission." The Donna was powerful in her own right. Coming from a powerful Famiglia while she did have no plans to be in the crime life but life didn't go as planned.

"But he knows. I don't need him to send a whole army after me." She says with a soft smile. It has happened before, mother takes any chance she gets to tell us the story.

She claps her hand in mine, "tell your siblings to visit. It gets quite lonely here." Now that all four of us are grown we moved out of our family house.

The house that I grew up in still looked the same. Mother's influence is heavy with the family pictures hanging on the walls and the touch of femininity inside the walls.

"We'll all be here next month."

"If it wasn't for the monthly dinners, none of my children would visit me even after I bore all four of you." She shakes her head and her strands follow the movements.

Our monthly dinner is a time the family gets together and we talk. Mother forbade us from talking about anything that has to do with the Famiglia. That day is only for us and not the crime organization that we spend the rest of our lives slaving to.

It's always the first Sunday of each month. Mother will be angry if anyone misses that day and there's no excuse that she'll accept because we all know that the first Sundays are reserved for the members of this household.

Due to business father had missed a couple sometimes but mother doesn't play with that at all so one way or another she punished him. He hates disappointing her so since a couple years now he hasn't missed one.