The Parfait Predicament

The team runs through the forest, but then Ruby stops, making Asher stop.

"I'm so glad the five of you, are still the five of you." The Cat hops on a few mushrooms behind the group. "Not always the case in the Everafter."

"You're the one who ditched us in the first!" Weiss points out. "Which by the way, is how we ended up in that mushroom house to begin with. You know, where that delirious caterpillar tried to drug us, and then was swallowed up by a freakin' hole in the ground!"

The Cat licks his paw, then looks at Weiss. "Ah, yes yes. Alyx had a similar reaction when she first saw someone return to the Everafter. But it's not how it seems. Well, I suppose it is. But not the way you think, if you think like Alyx." He jumps off onto a few more mushrooms. "Which it seems like you do."

Asher rubs his temples. "This Cat keeps giving me headaches, and I have a piece of metal stuck in my brain."

"I bet that hurts a lot." Tou says.

"Like you would not believe."

The cat jumps on a few more mushrooms, before hopping onto a path a little ways ahead. "Ah ha, we're here." He continues walking. 

The twins follow after the Cat and they come to a lake with a town in the middle. Only way to cross is by floating on a large lily pad.

 Only way to cross is by floating on a large lily pad

"Wow." Asher mutters.

"So pretty." Tou flaps his wings in excitement. 

The lily pad the Cat's on starts to move. "Better run."

The two twins hop onto the lily pad and it starts to float across the lake.

"So, Cat." Yang starts. "Going to explain to us how a giant caterpillar disappearing into a hole, isn't how it seems."

Blake and Weiss move into Ruby's scarf. 

The Cat hums. "When we break or wear out or simply finish what we were made to do. We are called back, but Herb, his heart was too weak to listen. So I gave him a little bit of mine."

"Is he... dead?" Blake asks as Yang moves into Ruby's scarf.

The Cat chuckles. "No. No."

Ruby and Asher sit down on the lily pad. Ruby leans onto Asher as they look at the cat.

"Well, maybe a little bit. But not at all." The Cat finishes. 

"Which is it!" Yang yells.

The Cat is not amused as he clears his throat. "Now that Herb is properly returned, he'll be fixed up nice and made into the Herb he wanted to be when he was still Herb. Then he'll come back and find his purpose. Could be the same as before or maybe not."

Asher looks around at all the strange animals and people on the lily pads.

"When Herb comes back, will he remember anything?" Ruby asks.