V9 Final: Of Solitude and Self

(I think this might be the longest RWBY chapter I've written.)

"So I either stay like this and lose all my memories after Beacon, Or go back to my old body and lose all my memories before Beacon? ... Then how about I make you a deal instead... Oh, you find that funny? ... You'll give me a glance of my future for a condition? ... Find, lets do this."

.

.

.

Many Years ago.

Summer is reading a book to a Sleeping Yang, Ruby and Asher. Asher and Ruby share the same bed.

"And on the wind Alyx heard one more question." Summer reads. " 'What are you?' " She closes the book.

Summer looks between the three kids a with a smile. Then she frowns. "I love you, just the way you are. Always."

Summer stands up and takes off her emblem and sets it down on top of the book as she places it on the table. She then takes off her clock and folds it up and sets it next to the book. She then turns the lamp off and heads out of the room.

Summer heads down stairs and looks out the window and up at the moon of the night sky.

"It's not like you to rush off on a mission in the middle of the night." Tai says as he walks down stair and Summer turns away from him.

"You know how Ozpin gets." Summer turns to Tai. "Mystery after Mystery."

Tai crosses his arms. "And when it turns out to be another run of the mill patrol, it'll be-"

Tai and Summer speak together. " 'I always prefer discretion.'" The two chuckle.

Summer puts a hand on Tau's cheek. "I'll be back soon."

Tai grabs her hand and pulls her close and into a hug. "I know."

A little later Summer, with her weapon on her side, is walking through a forest and a raven's caw is heard above her. Raven drops in from above and stands a little ways in front of Raven.

"Nobody suspects anything?" Raven asks Summer as the two walk to each other.

"No." Summer replies. "They think its a typical mission."

"Summer Rose telling lies." Raven smiles. "First time for everything." She then gains a nervous look as she crosses her arms. "And, Uh... What about... You're just going to leave them?"

Ruby give Raven a glare. "You're one to talk."

"It's... You're better at that life. Better than I was."

Summer walks past Raven, bumping her shoulder into her. "If I do this right, there's nothing to worry about. Trust me."

Raven sighs. "Let's get it over with I guess." She pulls her sword out and creates a portal with her Semblance. 

The two walk through it.

.

.

Ruby blinks a few times as she looks at Summer's weapon. "What... What was that? She... She lied. She left with Raven, why would she...?"

"Who knows why people keep the secrets they do." The Blacksmith says. "Maybe you're not the only one who has felt the weight of others expectations. Like Alyx, Like your Brother, Like your Mother."

Ruby stares at Summer's weapon for a few seconds, before pushing the case over. The case lands on the ground and shatters. 

"Are you just trying to tell me that it's useless?" Ruby asks with slight anger in her tone. "That I shouldn't even try? Is that the big lesson I'm supposed to learn? Just, give up?