Chapter 13

I took one more brief glance at the roof and checked all visible windows. No Raiders in sight, it was safe to head out. Slinging my rifle, I withdrew my pistol. I waited until Danse and Hancock had engaged the last Raider. Cringing when I got close enough to see Danse's beat red face and the murder intent in his eyes. He was livid. He whirled around to face Hancock who was wiping the blood of his knife. "What. Was. That!"

Hancock merely shrugged and gave a grin of satisfaction as he surveyed the mess around him. "I'd say that went pretty smoothy." He said as he stretched, a mischievous grin on his face. "Definitely feels good to stretch the o'l legs out here in the Commonwealth, eh sweet cheeks?" He said with a wink at Danse.

My whole body physically cringed when I saw Danse. He wasn't one to openly project his feelings, but I had picked up on ways to tell when he's angry. His eyes would widen to the size of saucers, and the vein on his forehead would stick out quite prominently.

"That had gone anything but smoothly!" Danse said his voice strained with anger. "You deliberately ran in my line of fire! And another thing, I am fed up with is your attitude!"

"Well you ain't a fresh spring wind either there, sweet cheeks."

"Okay, let's reel it in!" I said pushing the two away from one another, they didn't get very far apart but at least they weren't in one another's face anymore. "We don't know if we finished off the Raiders. For all we know, there could be more in there."

They both looked down at me then towards the store. Slowly, I could see Danse slip back into his rank as Hancock fixed the collar of his shirt. Danse shot Hancock a warning look as he reloaded his rifle. "Do not go against the plan again freak or I swear-"

"What? Everything went just fine crew cut. Plans change." He said shrugging. "Just gotta go with the flow and let loose."

"Enough!" I hissed. I was beginning to lose my own temper. "Danse!" I snapped, whirling on my heels towards him. "I want you to cover the entrance while Hancock and I go in dark! I want you two a football field away from one another for a while!"

Danse opened his mouth as if he had planned to challenge the plan, but was silenced by Hancock. "Aye, aye General." He said with a grin. "I'll meet you on the inside, wanna get some air, if ya catch my drift."

Danse shot him a look. "Your taking chems at a time like this?!" He fumed. But before he could continue, I placed a hand on his chest plate.

"Danse." I said looking up at him gently.

He gave me a sharp intense stare that caused a ripple effect through my body as if I had been hit with a cool winter chill. "Affirmative." His voice was as tense as the lines on his face.

Danse gave a shook of his head and walked away just as I moved towards Hancock. I followed his gaze back to Danse as he was heading out as I heard Hancock mutter a 'Jackass' as he shook his head and looked at me. "Just what the hell you see in that guy?"

Pinching the bridge of my nose, I held back every urge I had not to scream and slap Hancock with his hat. "Your not exactly helping. Your practically begging him to shoot you!" I walked past him towards the back of the building. "You know what he's like, yet you keep provoking him, and don't say it's your favorite past time!" I shot him a look as he opened his mouth. "Just lay off Danse, please."

"I can't make promises I won't keep." He said wryly.

"Hancock…" I groaned, taking cover besides the wall next to the back door. Hancock moved to the other side across from me. "Please, at least until were done with the Glowing Sea?"