𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐄𝐍 | the game

THE THREE NELSONS STAND by the cinderblock wall that leads to a hallway of locker rooms in the Eden Hall Academy hockey rink. Eden Hall's JV Ducks, Charlie's team, were in the midst of warming up — Crystal doing the same in a different way, under her brother's arm. This moment was deliberate on two counts. The first was to prove to everybody else that Charlie and Carrie were "talking," as in literally talking to each other, that's all. The second was so Crystal could familiarize herself with Charlie again before the game began, to get her excited to root for him and the team.

The whole evening had to be meticulously planned. They needed to arrive early in order to see Charlie before the game, as well as to get seats near the warm room so Crystal could warm up as needed. Carrie had to dress Crystal like a normal girl of her age, which meant putting her in a plaid skirt and a baby t-shirt. Of course Crystal loved looking like her big sister, but Chris wasn't too happy. She had to look more mature than she was, but like Carrie? That was perhaps a bit too far. That's why she had Chris's letterman jacket on her shoulders, his own precaution to stop any guys from approaching her.

Soon enough, the team makes their way off the ice and retreats to their respective locker rooms, Charlie coming along last. He pulls off from the group, knowing of this pre-planned greeting. Though he doesn't want to, he knows he has to hug Carrie first, just in case somebody's watching.

"Hey guys." He meanders over, wishing to dig his hands into his pockets though he has none. Taking his helmet off seems to satisfy his hands enough.

First, Charlie looks to Carrie to see if he was okay to hug her. She smiles awkwardly, and he just goes in for it. Then he turns his attention to Chris, shaking his hand as if they were friends. Charlie then looks back over his shoulder, seeing some of his teammates observing.

"Oh shoo, will you?" He calls. The group of boys, embarrassed, retreat to their rightful place in the locker room. Now the act can be dropped.

"Sorry about that, Crystal. I'm-"
"You're Charlie, I know. My best friend." She smiles, going right in to hug him though she can see he's sweaty. Immediately, Charlie calms and settles into her.

As she pulls back from him, he has to take a moment to see what she's wearing. If he was honest, he would have expected her to show up in her Alf jeans or a New Kids On The Block sweater. But one of Carrie's small shirts with The Cure's album art on the front and a matching plaid skirt? That wasn't Crystal at all. And sure, she looked beautiful like always, but something about her seemed inherently uncomfortable. Maybe it was just because she was wearing tights — he could recall how she hated them when they were young.

"Good, I'm glad you know." He smiles at her, he couldn't help it. "Now I've gotta tell you, well maybe 'warn' is the right word... hockey involves a lot of hitting and pushing, and I know you don't like that, but just know it's all part of the game. No one is in any trouble, it's just how you play."
"You like to hit them?" She asks, seemingly scared of what she's implying.
"No, I don't, but it's part of my job out there, pumpkin."
It was half a lie. He didn't want to have to hit people, but hitting somebody he hated or someone who hurt one of his teammates was a feeling that never got old. Charlie would never prey on an innocent, only the guilty or otherwise wrong.

"Okay, just don't get hurt." She leans herself into him again, and he cradles her in his arms more this time.
"I won't. I can't promise, but I won't."
Chris pries Crystal off him, not liking the sight before him. She was getting too emotional, Charlie had to do some damage control.

"But you're gonna have a lot of fun. There's good food, good music, good people... and it's fun to root for a team, right?" Charlie continues, knowing what Chris was trying to do.
"Yeah, you're right." She finally cracks a smile, and Charlie feels relief.