On paper

(Alfie's P.O.V.)
"Why don't you come here?" I told Ozzy as I continued along the market street. He was walking a couple meters to my left. "If you are going to take me to the orphanage, then I'm not coming with you" Ozzy said, "don't be scared. Come here" I told him, but the kid still refused. "I want to take you back to your father". "You don't know where my father is" he told me not believing me for a second, but you could hear that he wanted to believe me. "Of course I know where he is" I told him qnd smirked, "he's with the commissioner". Oscar stopped and looked at me and I could see the gears turn in his head as he tried to figure it out. He put his hand in his picket to pull out the necklace. Opening the locket he froze before looking back up at me he whispered "Mr Shelby?". I nodded and watched a smile appear on his face. "There he goes again" I told Cyril as Oscar ran off immediatly. But this time, I wasn't all to worried. Because I knew where he was going. The police station.

(Tommy's P.O.V.)
"Mr Shelby" the Commissioner began calming me down, "You, and the same goes for Mr Solomons, are not mentioned as the father on the birht certificate" The commissioner stated. "Well he surely has my last name" I replied back. Greta would surely have given Oscar my last name. She always loved the sound of it. "actually, he does not have your last name" the man informed me,"So he has Greta's maiden name? Jurossi?" I questioned. "Normally, when there is no father present. The child would get their mothers name. So, you can say that" he answered and walked away to a cupboard to retrieve a file. Oscar's file no doubt. He placed the file down on his desk before opening it. "But thats theoratically speaking. Legally speaking, the boy does not have a last name" he told me before handing me the birthcertificate. I retrieved the document and looked over it. He was right, on the certificate the first name was filled, but the section for the last name was left blank. "Now I am not entirely sure why it hasn't been filled in. But I am quite certain that it has something to do with carelessness of the hospital staff. That hospital was known to be money grabbers. More babies delivered, more compensation. To achieve this, they spend as little time as possible with taking care of the babies and parents needs". "Resulting in incomplete documents" I sighed to which he nodded. "Therefor it doesn't matter that you want to provide a home for the child. Without a judge's approval for custody, the child will be placed back into care" The Commissioner told me, "back to that orphanage? No chance! He'll come back to my own institution" I said in a matter of fact, "that won't happen, Mr Shelby" he told me and you could hear that he was also sad to inform me about it, "the court ruled out that Oscar will be placed at the Striker institution when they learned about the death of Ms Gimlet. Without an over ruling by a judge that states that he will be placed somewhere else. He sadly has to go back to Striker". "What about Alfie Solomons?" I questioned, "he took care of Oscar before you had taken him to the Striker institution. Surely he could gain custody untill I recieve it from the court". "Do you have proof of that besides a verbal statement? Because if not they won't care" he began. With they he actually meant the foster system and the people behind it. "You could've saved the child from drowing in the canal. They only look at what is black and white. Written on paper. And on that paper, you are strangers to the boy. Therefor you won't get custody of Oscar with a simple snap of your finger. It doesn't matter who you are, Mr Shelby". I sighed in defeat and sat down. My mind was racing, trying to think of a way to get Oscar out of the system. Then a young child's voice yelled through the hallway of the police station. I stood up and turned around before a shaking breath left my throat as Oscar ran up to me. He had a smile on his face as he stopped in front of me. "Are you going to take me home with you now?" He asked hopefull. It was like something was stuck in my throat, making me unable to speak. Finally I managed to speak. So I went down to my knee so I was eye level with him. "No, Oscar. No, you won't be coming with me today" I told him and felt the guilt forming in my heart, "why not? Did I do something wrong?" He asked softly. I shook my head "no. No. You did nothing wrong" I began before starting to explain the reason. Although he probably won't understand what it meant. "Am I going with Alfie?" He asked but you could tell that he knew the answer to his question anyway. I shook my head at him and lightly squeezed his hands. "No..." he softly cried and his lip began to quiver as he caught on where he was meant to go. "Please don't make me go" he begged me, "in a couple of months you'll be able to come home to me. And I'll let Alfie and Cyril visit as much as you like. I promise" I told him, trying to convince him. But it was no use. "I want all of you now!" He loudly told me. "I know. I know" I whispered and felt my heart break even more. "Then why are you leaving me?" He questioned and hiccupped through his tears, "you are my father!" He yelled in anger and sadness as he turned to the Commissioner. "He's my father! Look!". Oscar grabbed the necklace from his pocket and showed the photos of me and Greta, in a desperate attempt. "That won't help, Oscar" the Commissioner told him with a breaking voice. The young boy turned back to face me and shook his head "don't make me go back to Striker. Please!" He begged. But I hung my head in shame as two people grabbed a hold of him before pulling him away from me. "No!" He began to yell while kicking to get out of their grip and reaching out to me. The sight made me feel sick and I almkst felt like throwing up. "Mr Shelby, I think it's best if you leave" the commissioner softly told me. I nodded and stood up. "No! No! Don't go!" Oscar called out after me. With pain in my heart I walked out the room. "No! Don't leave me again!" He continued to scream. I arrived outside where it was raining heavily. Even the skies where crying in destress at what was enfolding now at this moment. Walking to my car I froze when I heard his last cry for help. "Daddy!".

Before he was ultimately pulled away from the doors, back into the station

Before he was ultimately pulled away from the doors, back into the station. I stood there in silence. Unable to move as the world crashed down around me. I didn't hear anything. Not the splatter of rain coming down onto the street. Not the cars that drove past me. Not the birds flapping there wings as they searched for shelter from the rain. It was utterly silent as I was zoned out from the world, while the guilt continued to wrap a tighter grip around my heart. With a shaking hand I reached for my car door and opened it before getting inside.

Published: 31st of March 2023

Update request: SlyPrefect2