Chapter 7

Kara enjoys the comforting heat of the stove as she throws in herbs and leaves to create the tea she has seen her mother make hundreds of times before when she was a child. The scent engulfs her, willingly taking her back to the days when her life was normal and safe. For a second she can almost feel her mother's arms around her, and she longs to hug her back. She'll have to make a trip to Argo after the mission. She hasn't seen her since she found out her father is alive. It's been decades since her family has been together and that needs to be rectified.

She stirs the pot on the stove, bringing it to a boil before setting it aside to cool for a second whilst she plates up the rest of the food for everyone. She delights in the sight of a meal from her homeland and tries to make the dishes look as aesthetically pleasing as she can. She really hopes that her found family will enjoy her food.

Lena breezes in humming a light-hearted tune. "Is the food ready?"

"Yeah, and the tea. I made extra in case anyone else wants some. It's all natural so it's perfectly safe." Kara grabs a couple of the plates and slips them into Lena's hands. "I'm just about ready to take everything through to the dining room."

Lena takes the plates through and places them in the centre of the table before detouring and heading to inform the others that it is time to eat.

The team hurries into the dining room, obviously excited to eat a homemade meal. By the time they have seated themselves, Kara has already laid out the dinner plates, piled up with food.

"Here, Nia. I got you a water and some tea." Kara delicately slides the two glasses in front of her and receives a grateful smile in response. "There is also some more in the pitcher if anyone wants to try some."

Nobody wastes any time digging into the food. "This is incredible, Kara!" Alex exclaims around her fork, which for whatever reason, only has two prongs.

"Thanks." Kara flushes with the compliment and Lena nudges her shoulder with her own.

"It truly is incredible. This is a taste that I have never experienced before in my life."

They fall into silence fairly quickly save for hums of appreciation. Even Esme is barely talking, too tuckered out from the day and a little grumpy from being woken from her nap.

Lena watches Nia struggle for a second since she has her injured hand in a sling. She is trying her very best to get the perfect amount of food onto her fork but cutting it with a knife is out of the question.

She looks a little embarrassed as Lena leans over and cuts up her food for her, although she does it as discreetly as possible so nobody else notices, at least they didn't comment on it if they did.

The second everyone's plates were empty, they all made themselves scarce, running off to their own bedrooms before Kara could complain that they had left their dishes. She sighs heavily and stares Lena down as she tries to make her own swift escape.

"Ah, ah, ah. Where do you think you're going?"

Lena has the decency to look sheepish and return back to the table to help her gather up the plates and glasses.

"Thank you for dinner, it was lovely."

"You're welcome, I just wish that I had more time to research first. Maybe I could have found something better than tea." It's clear to see by the expression on her face that Kara is blaming herself for not finding an antidote of some kind for Nia and Lena can tell that it is being exacerbated by the emotions of being back on Krypton.

Lena follows her into the kitchen, wary of her fragile emotional state. "You're not to blame for any of this." She whispers it into the air loud enough for Kara to hear but gentle enough to show her earnestness.