Ch.40 ~ Beth's Close Call

Y/n's POV

"I'm gonna go check Beth. You mind taking my bow and quiver back?" I asked Daryl, stopping before the porch to the Greene family home.

Daryl nodded without saying anything and held his hand out. I handed him my weapons and let a small smile come to my face before I turned towards the house.

I entered the house just in time to hear Maggie's voice upstairs screaming from seemingly Beth's room. I arched my brow and made my way into the kitchen, grabbed a cloth off the side and ran it under the water in the sink to clean my cheek.

"What did I miss?" I asked the two women who were also in the kitchen when I entered. Andrea sighed while Lori picked up a cloth and began folding it. Meanwhile I dabbed the now wet cloth over my cheek, hissing slightly at the stinging sensation that ran through my cheek.

"Beth tried to commit suicide." Lori replied.

"What!" I exclaimed, bringing the cloth down from my cheek.

"Yeah, she tried to hide the knife from her plate of food I took up earlier." Lori sighs.

"Damn, I knew I should've kept a closer eye on her." I clenched my fists in anger that I had been so distracted with my feelings and impressing Daryl that I willingly ignored the girl despite my better judgment.

"You didn't know she was gonna try and take her life Y/n. Don't beat yourself up." Lori tried to comfort from leant against the fridge.

"Still though, the signs were there, I saw them." A frustrated sigh left my lips as I threw the cloth I was holding in the sink.

"Where's Hershel?" Andrea suddenly cut in.

"He doesn't want to find out yet." Lori states. "It's a family affair. We'll let them work it out."

"That's working it out?" Andrea cocked a brow in the direction of the doorway.

"When Beth stops fighting that's when it's time to worry." Lori walks up to the table grabbing a piece of cucumber and chewing on it before leaning back against the fridge.

More yelling reached our ears from upstairs as the two girls continued to argue, most of the yelling coming from Maggie who was scolding her little sister.

"YOU ARE BEING SO SELFISH!" Maggie's voice roared, auditable enough for us to hear.

"This could have been handled better." Andrea states intriguing me as to how.

"How so?" Lori voiced my thoughts.

"You shouldn't have taken the knife away." Andrea bluntly replies.

"Excuse me?" Lori said in a quiet whisper. My own eyes widened in rage at the women's remark. Under no circumstances was it right for her to even make such remarks. She was practically promoting suicide which is illegal might I add.

"You were wrong, like Dale taking my gun. That wasn't your decision. She has to choose to live on her own. She has to find her own reasons." Andrea attempts to explain her reasons which made sense but still were very, VERY, morally wrong.

"Want me to tie a noose for her?" Lori sarcastically remarks grabbing the leftover plate of food off the table and turning to put it in the fridge.

"If she's serious, she'll figure out a way." Andrea looked from Lori to me as she said this.

"Doesn't mean we shouldn't stop her or let her know we care." I somewhat exclaimed.

"That has nothing to do with it. She only has so many choices in front of her, and she believes the best one's suicide." She shrugged her shoulders as if it was the only obvious way around this situation. It peeved me off to the point I was digging my nails into the surface behind me.