Chapter 10- Stick to the Status Quo

Ashlyn's POV

School had ended and after saying goodbye Seb and Jack I climbed into EJ's car. Today, Seb's mom was able to pick him up since she was grocery shopping while we were at school. Emma was still in the building for some reason but we didn't ask. After getting in the car and putting my bag down EJ speaks up, "They have matching contact names... with hearts." I looked at him confused, "Who?" I asked.

"Emma and Nini. I'm starting to think Emma likes her. I looked at their texts too, lots of 'friendly' flirting" Oh no.

I decided to change the conversation, "EJ, you can't go snooping around someone's phone like a stalker. Plus, friends flirt all the time, me and Jack friendly flirt"

"Yeah but that's because he's gay, and it's hardly even flirting. He just says you look good in a certain outfit."

I glared at him, "He's unlabeled and if you talk about my son like that again I will kill you."

He rolls his eyes at me, "Point is I play to win, Ash. Have we met? Go to their latest conversation and then look at her favorite photos. The phone code is 7777"

I looked at him as if he was crazy and logged into Nini's phone. I looked at her texts first and read the conversation the two had last. It was kinda cute honestly. It was obvious they liked each other but were too afraid to admit it. I then look at her favorite photos and their photos of Emma sleeping on Nini's lap. Oh I am so asking for this story later.

"Ok?"

"Firstly, since when does she get matching contact names with heart emojis AND calling each other theirs."

"Whatever, their best friends."

"But their cuddling. Me and her don't cuddle."

"Best. Friends. They are best friends, trust me. And even if Emma did like Nini she would respect your relationship. There is no Emma." God Emma owes me so much for this.

Just as I said that Nini's phone lights up with a phone call. It just so happened to be from Emma. The photo on the screen is of them from the night at Emma's house. Their faces were close with wide smiles on their faces and a faint blush. There's a moment of silence between us. "It's her," EJ sighs. I nod my head. Emma, you idiot. "Ok, I spoke too soon." I told him. He looks at me with determination, "I'm gonna take this."

"What are you, insane? Do not answer that phone, EJ!" I scolded him.

Emma's POV

I was walking home today but I felt the need to talk to Nini. She had left earlier to go find something so my only option was to call her. I found a private place in the hallway and called her phone. It rang for a few seconds and in my head I was rehearsing what I was going to say. Eventually the voice mail came up, "This is Nini, talk to me me." I smiled widely. I thought that voicemail was the cutest thing ever.

The ring went off and I started to talk, "Hey, it's me. Your... Ryan, Emma. Sorry to bother you, I-I meant to talk to you in school but you had already left so this is my best option. Um, I saw you singing with Ashlyn, and you were great! Magnificent even and-and so was Ashlyn! Sorry, what I'm trying to say is- or well what I'm trying to ask is... are you ok? I mean I know Ashlyn wrote the lyrics but you were singing them as if you related heavily to them and I know I might've not gotten all of the lyrics correct but um, they talked about regret? Why am I still talking? Anyway, whatever, I need to stop talking to myself. Or technically I am talking to myself already cause this is a voicemail- Ok shut up, what I'm trying to say is if you need anyone to talk to I'm always here. You were there for me when things got messy so I want to do the same for you. Ok so um, I'm-I'm gonna hang up now so I'll see you at school tomorrow? If you don't get mysteriously sick or something. Ok this is awkward now, bye Nins."