Chapter 1- Mess It Up

Emma's POV

The bell rings, signaling the beginning of junior year. I tried my hardest not to make eye contact with anyone as I looked to find my locker. I notice others staring at me with different expressions on their faces, disgust, pity, fear. It had been months since the incident and they still looked at me differently. It was stupid, I had tried my hardest convince people that what she said wasn't how it really went down but they didn't believe me. I should just be happy Seb and Ashlyn did.

I was friends with them all throughout middle school. They were the first people I came out to, and in return Seb told us he was gay too (though that was a lot more obvious). We all accepted and loved each other for who we were and when Seb expressed his liking to a boy in 8th grade we all told him to go for it and ask him out. Seb never mustered up the courage and instead decided to pin over him from afar, much to our annoyance.

8th grade soon ended and the summer before our freshman year was one of the best moments of my life. I hung out with the two almost everyday. Unlike them I didn't have an extreme love for musicals and theater in general but I tolerated it for my friends. That summer they forced me to watch every musical in existence, we would stay up all night eating junk food til our stomachs were practically begging us to stop. In the mornings we would wake up with sore stomachs and the end credits to whatever musical I was, "forced" into watching playing softly in the background. The cycle would continue for the whole summer and I found not only an appreciation for theater, but for songwriting. I never told them, or anyone in fact but I decided to songwriting a shot. The songs were crap and hardly sounded coherent, but there was something about that fact that I could express how I felt without directly talking about it made me addicted. I wrote numerous songs over that summer, some of the songs I related heavily too and put my heart and soul into while others were just me fooling around with lyrics and different instruments. I never showed them to anyone and to this day they sit in a dusty purple folder sitting in a drawer inside my desk or deep in my voices memos.

It's unfortunate nothing can last forever. If it was an option I would've stayed in that summer my whole life. A Lot of people would rather do anything than go back to their high school and middle school years but all I hope is to go back to those days. It was easy, it was normal, it didn't change, it stayed the same. Not only did nothing change but we ourselves didn't change, of course our personalities shifted slightly but we still remained those dumb kids that would watch musicals over and over again until the movies were about to be burned onto the screen, even if we changed we still remained friends. That was until freshman year. I joined the volleyball team while Ashlyn and Seb joined the theater club? Cult? I'm not 100% sure.

I tried to stay friends with them and we succeeded. Until the second trimester I was confronted by the volleyball captain and her younger sister. I didn't really focus on the captain, a at the time junior and now a senior named Anna, kinda bitchy, extremely attractive, just imagine Heather Chandler without the getting murdered part and you have Anna. Oh my god those musicals are really getting to my head. Ok whatever Anna's a jerk, next story. Her sister, Taylor is the complete opposite of her. She was beautiful to the point it was captivating and dangerously manipulative. She was everything to me, I had fallen head over heels to the point where all I wanted to do was please her. Unlike Anna she had a heart, a warm, and comforting one at that. We talked a lot my freshman year and I feel hard for her. I would do anything for her, I destroyed myself mentally just so I could have the slimmest chance of her liking me back. She talked poorly about musicals so I ditched them, she would talk highly about Euphoria so I would binge it and learn all about the show. I changed for her, it wasn't a small shift I had gone through before, it wasn't one of those changes where I would grow out of something and mature the slightest bit. This was a change that completely shifted who I was. But this was the person Taylor liked, so this is the person I would be, for her I could handle not being myself. So when she started talking poorly about Seb, Ashlyn, and the other theater kids, I didn't hesitate to ditch them too.