Chapter 16- Apocalypse

Emma's POV

It was finally Saturday and I pulled up to the cafe in my car. It was 2:56 so Isabel wasn't done with her shift quite yet. I thought about whether or not I should wait inside or stay in the car and wait. I choose to just stay in for two more minutes and then go inside. I looked at myself in the rearview mirror and adjusted my hair just a little. I then looked down at my outfit. Isabel told me not to wear something fancy so I was wearing a very simple outfit, just a random t-shirt from my closet and a pair of baggy jeans.

By the time I finished checking if I looked good enough the time was 2:58 so I walked into the cafe. I was met with the familiar smell of coffee and baked goods. I looked at the cash register to see Isabel anxiously watching the clock. She looked more done up than usual and I could see her outfit from underneath her green apron. She wore a black, baggy tank top with a pair of sage green jeans. She had a bit of eyeliner on and I was glad to see she didn't make an attempt to cover her freckles. Her freckles were something I had told her I loved when we were on facetime earlier today.

She finally looked at me and smiled, her dimples on full display. I walked up to the cash register, "Hey there, pretty girl." I say. Blush coats her face and she bashfully giggles, "Shut up. I get off in two minutes but I should be out in five."

I grin, "Sounds good, I'll wait for you over there." I point over to the couch where the couple Nini bothered yesterday was sitting at. Isabel nods and continues doing her job.

Five minutes pass and Isabel walks out from behind the counter, "you ready?" she asks. "Of course." I replied. We make our way outside and walk over to my car. I open the passenger side door for her and she happily gets in. I close the door and walk around to the driver's side. I get and buckle my seatbelt, "What do you have planned?"

"You'll have to wait and see." She gives me a devious grin.

"Can you at least tell me where it is so I can drive us there?"

She pulls out her phone and types something on it. Eventually, she hands it to me and I see her gps app pulled up and giving me directions where to go. I laugh lightly and set the phone up on a stand I had placed on my air vent. I kept my eyes away from the location to keep myself from spoiling the surprise. Conversation starts to flow freely around us, I complain about kids at my school being annoying and Isabel complains about annoying customers. We talked throughout the 45 minute drive and learned alot about each other. I learned Isabel is homeschooled, she loves books but despises soft cover, her favorite music artist is Tyler The Creator, whom we blasted the entire car ride there, and she also is an avid horror movie fan.

I felt happy talking to Isabel but yet something felt missing. It was something that was naturally there with Nini even if we weren't aware. I didn't know what it was but its absence made me feel guilty in a way. The feeling only got worse as the more we talked the more I noticed just how happy she was. Her smile was so wide and shining so bright she looked like the definition of a golden retriever. Eventually we pulled up to the location and it was a drive-in movie theater. "Ok, park over there." she tells me, pointing at the employees parking lot behind the concession building. I look at her as if she's insane, "trust me." she pleads. I roll my eyes with a slight smirk and pull into the lot. I quickly find a parking space and try to make sure I'm as in between the lines as I can get. I put the car in park and turned it off. Jenna tries to unbuckle her seatbelt but I put my hand on hers, she stops immediately and looks up to me with wide eyes and a ferociously red face. "Stay." I tell her as I retract my hand. She nods and leans back in her seat, I giggle at how flustered she was and get out of the car. I walk over to the passenger side and open the car door for her, "Now, you may go." I dramatically bow in front of her as she exits my car. She laughs, "Oh no please, kind soldier, do not bow for me." We're trying to hold in our laughs and stay in character but are failing miserably.