chapter 1

It was a hot summer's day and Cherry went to the local library, deciding which movie she should rent. She looked at the family movie to see if there was a classic childhood movie she grew up with that she might like to see for nostalgia purposes or see something she actually never saw as a child and would like to maybe give a try. 

She then saw there was a sequel to the Disney's Pocahontas film. She remembered doing a history report on Pocahontas and that she somehow was able to travel back in time and able to meet the Native American girl and help her meet John Smith and abolish hatred towards people who were different from each other. She decided she would take this DVD out and went to go to the front desk and check it out, and was told to bring it back in three days, she then took her new DVD and walked out to go home and give it a watch.

"Hey, Cherry." Atticus and Patch said. 

"Hey, guys." Cherry said as she wiped her forehead.

"You don't look so good, Cherry..." Patch said, looking up to her.

"Summer..." Cherry mumbled as the sun beaded down from the sky. "Is it wrong if I just want a little bit of snow in August?"

"No, it's not wrong, I also wish if there was snow in August." Atticus said, before both him and patch noticed the video of Pocahontas 2 that she was holding.

"Are you doing that for your next report?" Patch asked the human girl then.

"Nah, this is just for fun," Cherry said as she held the DVD. "My parents are meeting with friends tonight, so I thought I'd give myself a little movie night."

"Can we come over?" Atticus asked.

"That should be fine with my parents." Cherry said as she stood in the shade, avoiding the sunshine of summer.

"Yay!" Atticus and Patch cheered.

A pick-up truck drove up and a horn honked.

"That's my Daddy," Cherry stood up with her new DVD. "I'll see ya guys later tonight. Come over around... Say... 7:30?"

"Sounds good." the boy and Dalmatian puppy said.

"Okay, see ya then." Cherry said as she went to her father's truck.

"Come on, Patch, race ya home." Atticus said.

"You're on." Patch said, accepting the challenge.

They both began to race back home.

Darla was swinging in the yard with Amber pushing her.

"Can I have a turn now, Darla?" Amber asked, feeling a little hot, it was a rather heat-filled summer day today.

"Just a little longer, Amy?" Darla smirked to her best friend, seeming to be hogging the cool air that came with swinging back and forth.

Atticus and Patch then entered inside.

Jessica was on the couch with a friend of hers, putting on nail polish for her. "Hey, little bro."

The other girl looked to Atticus, gave a friendly smile, then looked back down as Jessica continued to put polish on her nails.

"Where are Mom and Dad?" Atticus asked.

"Mom's working on her garden and Dad's mowing the lawn." Jessica answered as she blew on her friend's nails.

"Great, thanks." Atticus said before he and Patch went to the garden.