chapter 3

Later that night, the ceremony began and the tribe was very thrilled to have Cherry back for a visit. They were also very welcoming to let Atticus and Patch join their fun as they did the fire dance. There was a lot of great food to eat such as succulent turkey, corn on the cob, along with various fruits. One of the men was about to eat the corn on his plate, but it was stolen by Meeko when he reached for a turkey leg. Patch even joined in the dance seeing of how much fun it looked and even brought Atticus with him to join in as well.

"Cherry, you're really great at this!" Pocahontas smiled.

"Aw, don't watch me..." Cherry pouted as she danced. "Now I'm gonna flop on the ground!"

Chief Powhatan smiled in admiration as his people were in joy of tonight. Patch and Atticus were even enjoying themselves at the party. Everyone kept dancing and had fun. That was, until John Rolfe decided to come by for a visit with his horse. This made everybody and everything instantly stop.

"Great Chief," Rolfe greeted Powhatan. "I am John Rolfe... to the customs--"

A very tall and bulky guard stood in front of him, folding his arms, but not speaking to the Englishman.

"Um, sir, that man has come to see you for official business." Atticus said to Chief Powhatan.

"Let him pass..." Powhatan allowed it.

The tall Indian walked away, allowing John Rolfe to speak with the chief.

"Yes, thank you," Rolfe told Atticus before going to the chief of these people. "According to the customs of Greater Britain, I would like to present this horse as a gift to the mighty Pocahontas and Cherry."

"Daughter and friend?" Powhatan called.

"You?" Rolfe was surprised to see Pocahontas and Cherry again, he had heard of them, but didn't expect them to be the ones he rudely interacted with.

"This beast is for you." Powhatan told the girls.

"Wait, they sent a man to give the chief's daughter and friend a horse as a gift?" Patch asked.

"I'm sorry, this horse is meant for..." Rolfe sounded sheepish.

"Pocahontas and Cherry, your king said, or did he speak falsely?" Powhatan questioned.

"No... Never... It's just that..." Rolfe grew sheepish. "This is... No, it's perfectly fine..."

Pocahontas smiled and pet the horse, maybe she could get used to it. Meeko even came to see the horse, poking at it.

"Meeko, I wouldn't do that if I were you." Atticus cautioned.

Meeko didn't listen, he just did it and with a snort from the horse, he was blown back instantly.

"I believe we can prosper together in this great land under King James's gracious rule," Rolfe told the chief. "To build trust... I would like you to sail back with me to meet my king."

"I do not want the pale chief's land," Powhatan told him strictly. "He wants mine. Why doesn't HE cross the salt water to see me?"

"I'm afraid that simply isn't done," Rolfe said apologetically. "Your Grand 'Chiefliness'."

"Your kind are barbarians that only want our land!" one Indian protested.

"Seems like they don't trust all Americans or people from England." Patch said.

"That's what happened back then," Cherry told the puppy quietly. "People couldn't trust anyone different from them."

"Is that what they want?" Pocahontas stopped the one rampaging Indian man. "You don't know..." she then looked to the Chief. "Father, someone must go."