chapter 9

Pocahontas was with Cherry, hiding in a tree with their natural clothes as the guards passed. It was time to have a word with King James and Queen Anne. As soon as the guards left, they carefully climbed the stone walls.

"Hear Ye, Hear Ye!" the herald called from inside the castle. "The High Court of King James will herewith commence!"

Before business could get started, the doors opened, showing the girls and the people gasped at the sight of them, though not dressed very formerly to be welcomed into royalty.

"Cherry and Pocahontas!" King James called, standing from his throne. "Guards! Guards!"

"I wouldn't waste your breath, Your Highness." Atticus said.

Rolfe and Uti came in, holding the guards in his arms like they were weak as mortal children.

"Surely his majesty wouldn't refuse an audience with a visiting princess." Cherry taunted slightly.

"James..." Queen Anne gently called to her husband.

King James groaned, but he sat down tensely.

"I don't think he's going to refuse." Atticus smirked.

"Your Grace, if you insist on war, my people will fight to the last warrior," Pocahontas said as she walked down the aisle with Cherry. "There is nothing to be gained, but much to be lost, for all of us."

"There is no gold, is there?" Queen Anne asked, though she didn't sound as greedy or power hungry as her husband thankfully.

King James wasn't sure what to say. "Radcliffe assured me..."

"That I was dead?" John Smith's voice was heard, shocking the crowd. "Was it true?"

Everyone, but Atticus, Cherry, Pocahontas, Rolfe, and Uti were surprised to see John Smith alive.

"Radcliffe has lied to you about everything." Smith, still shocking the crowd.

King James looked to his people, kind of unsure what to do, but looked angry and annoyed.

"There are many voices around you," Cherry said to him. "But you must listen to your own voice."

"Why do you two speak out when so many doubt you, even when it could mean your life?" King James looked to the two girls.

Everyone looked to Pocahontas and Cherry to find out their answer.

"Because we speak the truth." the girls finally said together.

The crowd seemed to get louder with their murmurs.

"SILENCE!" King James commanded. "Radcliffe has left, we must stop him!"

"But it's too late." Queen Anne reminded her husband.

"We must try." Pocahontas said boldly.

Atticus knew that this was going to end well, but not for Radcliffe.

It was getting dark outside, due to the incoming rain. There were ships about in the harbor. Radcliffe was commanding sailors on a boat to go out into the world and rid it of the 'savages' he spoke highly of it.

"Riders approaching!" a man called, seeing from his telescope.

Radcliffe shoved the man over and looked through it see Pocahontas and the two Johns on horseback. "Smith!" he called in surprise of his former best man. "Raise anchor! Cast off!"

A sailor did as told.

"He's trying to get away." Atticus said as he was running by Pocahontas's right side.