Chapter 2: New but weird friends

They had spent the rest of the day chatting, but not much else had happened. They had been walking around the school building because they were getting bored after a while. The group had previously split up.
Espio had gone to the library to start a new book. There, he also met Shadow. They both had a neutral relationship with each other. They didn't talk to each other much, occasionally recommending a few books to each other, but then they didn't touch them.
Amy and Cream had gone to the school garden together to take care of the plants and to ask Miss Vanilla, who was looking after the garden, a few questions.
Tails had gone to the workshop with their technology teacher, Dr. Ivo Robotnik to work a little further on his newest invention.
Blaze and Silver went to the school cafeteria together to get something to eat and at the same time, mentally prepare for the upcoming school material.
Vector and Charmie were in the crocodile's room playing video games.
Now only Sonic and Rouge were left. But not for long, as Rouge had also disappeared into the library to question Shadow about something. So Sonic had gone outside to break his record in running on the sports field.

Rouge carefully pushed open the creaking door of the library and discreetly glanced around. The room was furnished with bookshelves, tables, and chairs, but there were also cushions and a sofa. She saw Espio sitting on a chair, holding a self-help book about different beast categories in his hands. Unlike the others, the chameleon had always had an interest in training books. But this time, Espio seemed really unsettled. Was it because he had seen Rouge, or because Shadow occasionally stared directly into his eyes? With his icy-cold eyes that could look directly into one's soul, that's how the other students would describe it, who weren't as close to the hedgehog. Those vacant eyes always looked like unheard cries for help to Rouge. That was the first thing she had thought when she first saw Shadow. But it quickly became clear that she had interpreted it wrong. Well, partly.
The dark hedgehog sat directly across from Espio and impatiently scribbled information onto a piece of paper. Espio briefly stared at the witch and tried to speak, but Shadow beat him to it.
"She knows about me." he remarked, dipping the feather which he was writing with into the depths of the dark inkwell without even glancing at the bat. Instantly, Rouge understood what was going on.
"Ah, that's why you're here. But I could have guessed that already. How far have you gotten? Have you found any results yet?" she asked, both curious and concerned.
Shadow spoke up again. "We've found plenty, but I can't make sense of it. Nothing seems to fit together."
"Oh, come on, guys, you don't need to be so secretive. There's no one else here except us. So relax, Shadow."
"Nevertheless, I'd prefer not to use any big terms. Espio only knows that I need the information, not why. Besides, my sixth sense tells me that we're not alone." Rouge looked around with a smile and gave him an understanding grin. "Your famous sixth sense has never led you astray, I admit. Shadow, sweetheart, I don't see anyone. But if you'd rather keep it under wraps, that's okay. You're not used to it any other way."
"Thank you, Rouge..."
Espio snorted a little disoriented. "You two can really pique one's curiosity, but as I promised, I won't ask. If it's for a good cause, it'll be fine." He then buried his eyes in the book for a moment and smiled. "I think I've found something." He cleared his throat and began to read: "Negative thoughts can often be turned into positive ones, but it doesn't always work for others. Use these negative thoughts to remind yourself how to regain control of your senses. Loved ones such as family, friends, or a romantic partner can also be supportive."
A sigh escaped from Rouge's throat. "Of course, loved ones can be supportive. That's not helping us progress."
"But we have to make progress! It's getting stronger and hungrier every day. I have to stop it from consuming more, or it will become a threat to both mortals and monsters!" Shadow said in frustration, burying his face in his hands as he spoke.
"I don't want to say anything wrong, but if it's so dangerous, have you talked to the school administration?" the purple chameleon asked, with a few beads of sweat on his forehead.
Shadow shook his head. "I don't want to involve her. It's my responsibility, and it's up to me to stop it. No one else can!"
"But you have to talk to her, Shadow. As a great magician, she surely knows what can be done." Shadow clenched his fists and angrily pounded the table. "SHE WON'T UNDERSTAND, ROUGE!" he yelled. Startled, both the witch and the ninja flinched. Their heartbeats raced, but then they calmed down again.
"I'm sorry... I need some fresh air," the black hedgehog hissed, a little trembling, and quickly left the room. As soon as he opened the door, he collided with someone big and white. "Oh, please excuse me, Mister Doom. I wasn't paying attention to where I was going," he said, following it with a short apologetic bow.
"Greetings, Dr. Finitevus, and my apologies as well," Shadow briefly remarked and continued on his way. He no longer looked like the great ant-eater with a smile as he entered the library.
Outside, Shadow gazed into the bright sunlight. "Unbearable..." he muttered to himself before his gaze dropped to the golden object on his wrist. He took it off. "Home..." he whispered to the Inhibitor Ring and placed it on the ground. It grew larger, and Shadow disappeared into it. A few seconds later, it disappeared into thin air.