Chapter 8

"I, Redstar, leader of MountainClan, call upon my warrior ancestors to look down on these apprentices. They have trained hard to understand the ways of your code, and commend them to you as a warrior in their turn. Scorchpaw, do you promise to uphold the warrior code and to protect and defend your Clan, even at the cost of your life?"

Scorchpaw had his chest puffed out and was trying to look as big as he could. Willowpaw was excited, and was sure that she wouldn't miss her apprenticeship with Petalfire.

"I do." Scorchpaw said, with a voice crack, but no one pointed that out.

"Willowpaw, do you promise to uphold the warrior code and to protect and defend your Clan, even at the cost of your life?"

"I do." she felt a burst of energy inside her.

Redstar continued. "Then by the powers of StarClan, I give you your warrior name. Scorchpaw, from this moment you will be known as Scorchfur. StarClan honors your bravery. Willowpaw, from this moment you will be known as Willowmoon. StarClan honors your truthfulness, and we welcome you both as full warriors of MountainClan."

The clan erupted into cheers and Willowmoon decided that she loved her name. She watched the cats of MountainClan cheer their names, and her eyes landed on Wolftail who was cheering the loudest. She didn't have enough time to go over there once the cheers stopped because Scorchfur barreled into her.

"We're warriors! No more ticks! Or moss!"

Rubyclaw ran up to them. "Nice job, you two! Can't wait to see you in the warriors den! Also, sometimes, you will still have to do ticks and moss."

"Whatever." Scorchfur said, brushing it away.

Suddenly something tapped her shoulder. She spun around.
"Wolftail!"

"Congrats! Both of you!" He said with a smile. "We also have already been planning your arrival to the warriors den, so your nests are ready."

Deerhawk, who had caught greencough a few weeks ago, had trotted out of the medicine den, and had yowled her and Scorchfur's names, before starting a coughing fit and Sunnfeather had to push him back into the medicine den.

Willowmoon settled down into her new nest for the fifth time that evening. It was moon-high, and she couldn't sleep for some reason. Maybe it was too cold.

"Are you still awake?" She heard Wolftails voice whisper from somewhere close. Her cold pelt warmed a little at the sound of his voice.

"Um, yes." She said, shifting herself so she could face where Wolftail was.

"I can't sleep either. Do you want to go on a walk?"

"Alright."

She watched as Wolftail stood up. She stood up too. Then she walked up and brushed against him as they walked out of the den, trying not to wake up anyone.

"Ow!" She heard Duskshadows voice.

"Sorry!" Wolftail said, indicating that he had stepped on Duskshadow's tail. They creeped out of the den, and were walking past the fresh-kill pile when a noise sounded and someone walked into the camp.

"Hello?" Willowmoon called out. The figure stopped.

"Hello." Bloodnight stepped forward into the moonlight. His claws, unsheathed, glinted red and silver.

Willowmoon stifled a gasp. "Why-"

Wolftail interrupted her. "We were going on a walk. See you tomorrow." With that he grabbed Willowmoon and dragged out the entrance, until she started walking herself.

Once they were a ways out of camp, so no one could hear them, she asked, "Did you see his claws?" She asked nervously. Her paws tingled with uneasiness.

"Yes." Wolftail looked very serious but his sides were trembling. "Mouse dung. We can't have a murderous deputy."
"What would happen to MountainClan if..." She paused, slowing down her walking pace. Wolftail stopped beside her. "What if Redstar was hurt somehow. And Bloodnight became leader."

"Then I would protect you." Wolftail rushed in. "Erm, and Scortchfur, and Rubyclaw, and Sunnyfeather.."

She laughed. This was the best she had felt all night.

"Alright, mouse-brain. Let's get back to camp."