Chapter 16

Willowmoon rubbed her eyes, thinking she was imagining it. Mudkit. Mudkit was alive. Maybe. Willowmoon sighed. She was definitely imagining it.

Or... he is alive? Her brain whispered.

She silently padded after Dreampaw, who had caught two mice and a squirrel. Dreampaw was now stalking a mouse. Her apprentice leaped and landed right next to the mouse. Dreampaw scrambled around, trying to catch it after her failed jump.

The mouse scampered away right as her paw came crashing down.
Dreampaw sighed. Willowmoon hopped down from the tree that she had been watching Dreampaw from.

"It's ok. You have three other great catches."

"Really? Is it enough?"
"I will talk with..." Willowmoon trailed off. She would have to tell Silverscreech that Dreampaw was ready to become a warrior.
"I'll talk to Silverscreech. See what she thinks."

Dreampaw squealed and ran off to get her catches. When she came back she had a curious look on.

"Why hasn't Silverscreech chosen a deputy yet?"
"I don't know." They sat there in silence for a little bit before a huge shape jumped on Willowmoon, knocking her down. She screeched and threw the thing off of her.
She whipped around, claws out, to find Sandpaw laying on the ground.
"Sorry Willowmoon." Sandpaw said. "I fell out of that tree."
Carrotpaw, Wolftail, and Rubyclaw came sprinting after her.
"Are both of you ok?" Rubyclaw asked, looking embarrassed.
"I'm fine."
"Me too."
"Good." Wolftail said, trotting over and helping Willowmoon up. Her pelt warmed at the touch.

The walk back to camp was a happy one. Voices filled the air. Sandpaw boasted about the starling she had caught, and Carrotpaw was listening politely. He had caught a rabbit, a mouse, and a vole. Sandpaw had caught three squirrels and a starling.
"I can't wait to be a warrior!"

"I remember when you were a kit! Running around camp like you were the leader." Willowmoon said, joining in.

When they reached camp a minute later, Willowmoon and the two other mentors climbed the highrock into Silverscreeches den.

"Silverscreech?" Rubyclaw called.

"What?" Silverscreech asked, sharply.

"Our apprentices are ready for their warrior names."
"Ugh. I thought so. Go out in front of the highrock." Silverscreech lazily said.

They walked out under the highrock.

"All cats old enough to draw blood, gather around the highrock."
Cats started to gather, whispers about the battle tonight rang through Willowmoons ears.

"We have three apprentices that are ready to become warriors. Sandpaw, Carrotpaw, and Dreampaw, come here." Silverscreech called out with a yawn.

The three apprentices ran up to the highrock, smiles on their faces. Midnightstorm and Blackfang trotted out of the warriors den with looks of hope and pride on their faces.

"Carrotpaw you have trained hard. Your new name is Carrotpelt, because of your swiftness."
Willowmoon winced at the wrong words, but cheered his name anyway.

"Sandpaw, you have trained hard. Your new name is Sandstone, because of your stubbornness." Sandstone gave a happy glare.
"Dreampaw, you have trained hard. Your new name is Dreamwing, because of your intelligence."
"Dreamwing! Sandstone! Carrotpelt!" Cats called around the clearing.

Blackfang was cheering the loudest despite the hard times the clan was going through. Midnightstorm was choking down tears of happiness, probably happy that three of her kits had survived long enough to become warriors.

"Also," Silverscreech added. "I will name the cats going into battle. Blackfang, Duskshadow, Rubyclaw, Daisystorm, Mosspoppy, Hazelwing, Wolftail, Sandstone, Carrotpelt, Willowmoon, Dreamwing, and me. Sunnyfeather will come too."

The meeting soon ended and the clan was alive with chatter.

"Willowmoon?" Wolftail asked, walking up to her. "Can you come with me?"
"Of course."

They walked out of camp and Wolftail led her up the Steep Stones to Sky View. The Steep Stones was a path made of rock that led up to Sky View, which was an open area overlooking the forest of MountainClan territory.
Wolftail sat down at the edge of Sky View and beckoned her to come sit down next to him.
"So, this is probably going to be hard to say." He paused, looking at the sunset. "Carrotpelt has already helped me with this." He laughed, which made Willowmoon feel warm inside.

"So, whatever happens tonight, during the battle, I wanted to tell you," He took in a deep breath. "I love you."

Willowmoon felt her head explode over this. Different thoughts crammed into her brain. Then it all cleared. Maybe this is what I've been feeling all along.

"I... I love you too." She felt the world go silent.

Then Wolftail smiled. She pushed her head into his shoulder and he rested his head on hers.

All of her thoughts left her. The dead cats. The missing cats. Swallowtail. Mudkit. Silverscreech. Bloodstar.

They were replaced with peace.