Chapter 18

"Dreamwing, it's ok." Sandstone stood over her sister with Carrotpelt.

Willowmoon listened from her spot in the tree.

She had gone out hunting alone, but had found Carrotpelt, Sandstone, and Dreamwing. Dreamwing was lying on the ground with her head in her paws, her siblings lying down with her.

"No, it's not."

"It was an accident." Carrotpelt tried to reassure her.

"You don't understand! You didn't kill a kit!"

"Dreamwing-"
"No. I don't even deserve to be here."

"Don't talk like that!" Sandstorm almost screeched. "We wouldn't be able to handle it if you were gone!"
"Bramblekit's family can't even handle it."
Willowmoon sighed and went over to the SeaClan border. Dreamwing needed her siblings. Not her mentor.
"What are you doing?"
Willowmoon spun around to see Wolftail.
"What are you doing you mouse-brain! You're hurt!"
"I can walk. Let me come with you. I heard everything last night."
She groaned. She didn't want her mate to get even more hurt.

"No, go back."

"If I go back you're coming with me."
"Fine, come on."

They wandered into SeaClan territory.

"We should wait for a SeaClan patrol."
"Ok."

"Willowmoon?" The voice from Marigoldhop sounded from the trees.

"Hi Marigoldhop." The golden warrior came out from behind one of the trees.

"Hello. Do you need something?"
"We wanted to look for our clanmates again."
"They're still not back? It's been moons!"
"I know right?"
"Let me take you both to our camp."
On their way, Willowmoon was deep in conversation with Marigoldhop. Wolftail grumbled about something behind them.

"So, who's this?"

"This is Wolftail. Ignore him if he says something rude." Willowmoon said. "How is everything in SeaClan?"

"It's... It's fine."
Willowmoon had noticed that Marigoldhop had been increasingly sad as they kept walking. The once bouncy warrior from last time was gone.

They entered camp and Lakedrop, SeaClans deputy, came over.

"What do you want?" The black and white warrior asked harshly.

"We wanted to look for our Clanmates again." Wolftail said, pushing past Willowmoon.
Halfstripe walked up to them. The bengal medicine cat looked sad.

I wonder what has happened.

"You two can come with me." Halfstripe said. "If you don't mind, I want to look at his side." Halfstripe pointed at Wolftail's side and beckoned them to the medicine den.

"If you don't mind," Willowmoon asked, slowly. "What happened?"
"You can tell?"
There was silence.

"You know Marigoldhop's adopted kit? Clearkit?"

"Yes?"
"She fell off of Star's Fall. It's a gorge near the back of our territory."
"I'm sorry. Are- Is Marigoldhop ok?"
"No. She's not. I've found her three times standing over Star's Fall."

"Excuse me?" Salmonstar walked into the medicine den with Pinepelt, the other medicine cat.

"Yes?"
"Oddwhisker will bring you to the edge of our territory."

The gray cat walked up behind them and a moment later they were at SeaClans border.
"I'll wait here. Call me if you need help."
"Ok, thank you."

"Wolftail, where do you think we should start?" Willowmoon asked her mate.

"We should start at the bottom of StarClan's gorge. It's a safe place, and Redstar is smart. We could also find Mudkit there too."

"You heard all of it?"
"Yep."
"Alright we could start there."
They were walking for a while in StarClans gorge. The cold orange stone provided no warmth.

"We've been walking for a while, maybe we should turn back-"
"Duck!"

She turned around just as Wolftail jumped on top of her and a fox jumped over them.

"Fox! Run!"
They dashed farther into the gorge, water from the narrow river splashing them as they dashed by. The fox was gaining on them.

Suddenly something grabbed Willowmoon and she was pulled back into a small crack in the stone.

"Wolftail! Help!" She screamed.

"Shut up!" Red fur was stuffed in her mouth.
A tan shape passed her and a moment later, Wolftail was in the same position as her.

"Let us go!"
"Not yet, follow us."
They followed the cats into a big opening. Glowing crystals provided light in the cave.

"Welcome to our home, Willowmoon, Wolftail."
"How do you-"
Willowmoon felt her heart rise. She recognized this voice.

The she-cats red fur bristled as she stepped out of the shadows.
"Redstar."