Chapter 17

"Wait for the signal." Silverscreech whispered to the MountainClan warriors.

They were crouched down, surrounding the ForestClan camp. Willowmoon tried to shove down the thoughts about this being an unfair battle. An apprentice had crossed the border. On accident. Stop. You have to obey your leader. We will go in and be done.

She could see Bramblekit and Frostkit playing in the clearing. They reminded her of her kit days. The fresh-kill pile was full. Cats talked happily with each other. She didn't want to hurt them. Maybe I could-

"Attack!"

She lunged forward with Wolftail by her side. She immediately saw Silverscreech fighting Crowstar. She paused and claws came down on the side of her face.

Goldenclaw. The deputy. He had a look of horror and disappointment on his face. His dark tabby pelt swayed in the wind.
"Why? What is going on with MountainClan?" He asked.

"I'm sorry." Willowmoon choked out. She raced past him, scraping his pelt on her way. She turned quickly but not fast enough. Goldenclaw jumped on her, knocking her down. She glanced up, the moon shining behind him, illuminating his face of anger. He raised a claw and was about to bring it down when Wolftail lunged forward, diving into Goldenclaw. Goldenclaw was thrown sideways.

"Are you ok?" He asked, helping her up.
"Yes. I-'' She glanced down to see gashes down Wolftails side. "Your pelt! We need to get back. I can tell-"
"Willowmoon. I'm fine. I promise..." He swayed to the side.

"No! You're going back to camp. Sunnyfeather! Sunnyfeather!"

Sunnyfeather dashed out from the bush he was hiding behind.
"Oh StarClan. That's bad." He ran back and retrieved some herbs.

"This is thyme and cobwebs. I'm going to-" He looked up. "Willowmoon watch out!"

Claws barely missed her head as she ducked.

She turned to see a ForestClan warrior. Swiftstrike, from the last gathering.
He swiped again, and Willowmoon dodged. His gaze drifted to Wolftail who was almost unconscious.

"No!" She darted forward just as Swiftstrike lashed out at Wolftail.

Swifstrikes claws hit her neck instead. Ouch. She swiped with a hiss at his face. She missed him by an inch. They went back and forth, more injuries being created, Willowmoon refusing to leave Wolftails side. A screech, louder than the others, pierced the air.

"Goldenclaw! It's Bramblekit!"

Goldenclaw stopped fighting Blackfang and sprinted over to the nursery. The crowd of battling cats stopped and everyone moved out of the way.

Goldenclaw slid down to a stop in front of his kit. Snowmoon, Bramblekit and Frostkits mother, was lying on the ground nudging Bramblekit gently with her paw.
Dreamwing stood over him, her claws dripping with blood, a horrified look on her face. Bramblekits side was almost torn open.
"Bramblekit, wake up." Frostkit said.

"Come on darling," Snowmoon whispered. "Back to the nursery. Come on."
Goldenclaw just stood there. He stared down at his dead son for a moment longer before swinging his head up to Dreamwing.

"Did you do this?" He asked weakly.

"I- I'm sorry, I was aiming at- at Hollyclover. He jumped up in front of me just as I was about to land the blow. I'm sorry. I really am." Dreamwing stuttered.

"Wake up!" Frostkit screeched. "We have to play mossball together! Our apprentice ceremony was super close! Stop joking! It isn't funny! Just wake up!"

"Frostkit."
"No! No no no no no!" The whole family had tears running down their faces.

Goldenclaw pushed his paws into his face. "It wasn't supposed to be like this." He mumbled.
"MountainClan, we're going back. We have won this battle." Silverscreech moved away from an unmoving body. Crowstar. ForestClan erupted into screeches and the battle continued.

"Stop! Stop." Goldenclaw yowled to his clan. "We have lost enough lives tonight already. Go home MountainClan."

Silverscreech smirked and led her clan away.

Willowmoon supported Wolftail on the way back with Sunnyfeather helping.

"Rubyclaw." Sunnyfeather called the to white cat in front of them. "We are falling behind. We'll be home soon."
Sunnyfeather stopped them and laid Wolftail down.
"You know, I figured out the prophecy. It was a little late though."
"It was warning us about the danger of Silverscreech."

"There has been so much to take in."
Mudkit. Swallowtail. Bloodstar. Bumblestone. The Night Bloods and their search for the snow cat. Whatever that even is.

"Sunnyfeather?" She asked.

"Yes?"

"Have you ever seen a cat that was dead?"
Sunnyfeather chuckled. "You mean StarClan?"

"No, I mean a cat you thought was dead, but then you saw them alive."

"No, I've never seen that. Why?"
"Oh nothing. Just..." She paused. "I saw Mudkit."
"You must have been imagining it."
"I swear on StarClan I wasn't. He was there. The same age as Dreamwing too."

Poor Dreamwing. The silver she had killed a kit. She probably felt horrible.

"Willowmoon, hadn't SeaClan scented MountainClan along their border for awhile?"

"I should check! They might be there!"

"Who might?" Wolftail asked in a whisper.

"Nothing, I'll tell you later. Go back to sleep." She stroked his head with her paw.

"Let's keep going now."They headed back to camp where Willowmoon climbed into her nest, and sleep came quickly.