Chapter 15

The rest of May passes quietly as spring turns into summer and Peeta and I continue to keep each other company. 

Slowly but surely life returns to District 12, both in the green grass and wildflowers as well as in the people. It seems 12 gains more residents with each passing day, as things start getting rebuilt and we all try our best to move on from the recent horrors. There are even plans for a new bakery going up in the square, which Peeta is particularly involved in. Some mornings, he'll leave extra early to meet with a group of officials who have taken charge of the reconstruction. Though I know it hurts Peeta to think about a new bakery without his family, his eyes light up when he talks about his plans for it. All of the people he can feed. The wide grins of happy children pressing their noses against the cake display case. The legacy he can carry on for his father, who loved the old little bakery so much. 

As for me, I've kept busy around the house. Hunting doesn't particularly interest me anymore, though since my injuries have just about healed, I've begun taking walks around the woods again. No more tree climbing for me though, as per Peeta's request. Mostly, I spend my time doing practical things to keep my mind off of things, like tending to Haymitch and teaching myself how to cook--though Peeta still handles all of the baking. I've even taken up knitting, socks and gloves and hats and things. We don't have much use for more than a pair of each but I'm always sure to make extra to give to anyone I can around the District. Peeta and I try to help others as much as we are able to. It brings us a sense of peace, I think, to be selfless. Plus, it's just easier to put our focus on others than to think about ourselves and the things we've been through. 

I am nearly finished with my current pair of socks, made from pretty olive green wool that I think Greasy Sae will particularly like. I don't see her so much anymore, as Peeta has taken over her role here, but I try to stop over as often as I can. From what I've seen, she's doing very well for herself. Construction crews get hungry after all, and apparently, the people in 12 have never lost their taste for Greasy Sae's signature wild dog stew. She's even got a couple of guys now who have taken up hunting, that can go out and get meat for her. It feels strange, not being the only one in the woods anymore. I know it's a good thing. I know it's better that people can provide for themselves now, though each of the Districts and the Capitol has made agreements under Paylor's administration that we will all take care of each other rather than solely working for the Capitol. But still, a selfish part of me is resentful that my days of solitude in the woods are over. For a long time, it felt like the entire forest was meant just for me. Well, me and Gale. I haven't heard from him at all, though we received a letter from Hazelle about a week ago. She and the kids have moved out to 2, where I know Gale has taken up a job. She was careful not to mention him specifically. I wonder what he's told her--if anything. I wonder if she's asked. 

My yarn is nearly out before I can finish the last sock, which pulls me away from thoughts of my old hunting partner and our long past days spent in the woods. Probably for the best. Thinking about Gale still cuts so deeply. I know it's for the best, that we are no longer in each other's lives. But there's no forgetting the years we had together. We were inseparable. He was my best friend. No, there's no forgetting him. 

I set aside my knitting and climb up the steps toward the office, where I've got a basket of yarn in every color stored away. My mother, who returned to the Capitol after I got my leg cast off, brought them all for me after teaching me how to knit. A lot of it is her old stuff but she seemed so excited to be teaching me something that I actually ended up being interested in that she went ahead and ordered more from the Capitol. We never really moved past the things I said to her when she first got here. We never spoke about it again, which I think was probably for the best. I'm not sure either of us has anything to say. So, we've maintained a cautious and distant relationship. Not maternal or affectionate or particularly enjoyable. But we tolerated each other and I suppose that's the best it's going to be, at least for now. Besides, she's got patients to attend to in the Capitol and once I was able to move around more on my own, she wasn't much needed here anymore anyways.