Chapter 12

"That smells great. I went grocery shopping this morning while you were asleep." Kai walked to the kitchen island.

After I got dressed, Kai wanted me to stay in the kitchen while he was cooking. I don't even know why I listened, but here I am at the table playing with his pager, I think that's what you call it.

"Don't touch that." Kai said.

"Heh. Your pager? Why?" I said, still messing with it.

"Because it's brand-new, looks cool, and I don't want you to bust it." Kai walked over grabbing it from my hands winking, before walking back to continue cooking.

"Listen, Kai, Bonnie's gone which means we have no Bennet blood to get out of here. Aka, we're stuck here forever. Why don't we divide the world in half and go our separate ways?" I explained.

I thought maybe separating would be for the best. I don't trust him. I don't want to constantly be looking over my shoulder. I could just get in Damon's car and drive for however long it takes me.

"I get it. I pulled you back, trapping you here with me. Can't you see I'm trying to apologize?" Kai fake pouted.

"No, because I don't care. Forget it. I'm not hungry anyway." I get up about to walk away when Kai rushes in front of me with his hands on my shoulders.

"Fine. Can we at least—"

"Hands." I cut him off.

Kai took his hands off and continued. "Can we at least have one last dinner conversation before my eternity of aloneness resumes?"

"So you agree? One last dinner and we go our separate ways?" I asked not trusting him.

"In the spirit of Thanksgiving, I'll even give you my extra pager, so we can keep in touch." He offered.

"Hmm. Well this dinner better be good." I go back to sit down.

"Oh, you're going to love it."

***********

"Hmmm." Kai was slowly eating his last bites of his food.

Over the past hour we've been eating Kai's food. His food was actually really good, probably the best food I've had in the past four months—but I would never admit that to him. We had small talk, but it was mostly one sided, since Kai was talking the entire time.

"Really? You've been eating that same piece for 45 minutes." I said unamused.

"Is it a crime to want to savor our last meal together?" Kai asked.

"I had Thanksgiving dinner with you. Now, just give me that pager thing." I reach my hand out.

"I should probably teach you how to use it. It's tricky. You didn't even know what a pager was before you got here." He stalled.

"I'll figure it out. Now, quit stalling and hand it over." I insisted.

"Fine. I'm stalling." Kai finished the rest of his glass of wine. "Mmm. But don't you want to hear how my story ends?"

"I've read the newspaper. You murdered your siblings, and your coven sent you to live in this prison world." I explained.

"My family sent me to this prison world. My father, the great coven leader who treated me like crap for 22 years and then locked me here. It's like his—like his kids didn't even matter. Coven always came first no matter what." He looked at me and it actually looked like he was hurt for what his family did to him. "After, what I did to my siblings, my twin sister Josette, agreed to merge with me if I spared the twins. When we started to merge, it wasn't working and turns out my dear sister called the rest of the coven and that's how I got sent here."

"I—I'm sorry." I don't know why I apologized, but I actually kinda felt bad for him. His shitty father led him to become the psycho he is now.

Sometimes people aren't born killers, they're made that way.

"What are you sorry for?" He chuckled.

"I don't know." I said.

"Heh. Well you don't need to apologize for anything. Anyways, you still going to leave?" Kai asked.

"Well, yeah. I think so." I was set on leaving, but hearing that sob story, it made me question whether to leave or not. He could've used that story as a manipulation tactic to get me to feel bad or maybe he just wanted to vent.

"You think so?" I nodded at him. "Look, Angel. Why don't you just stay?" He turned his body towards me.

"I— there's no reason to stay. We don't have the one person we need to get out of here. Without Bon we're stuck." I said upset.

Kai reached over to take my hands in his. "We can—"

"Hands." I cut him off.

"Right." He let go of my hands and continued. "We don't need Bonnie. I have thought of so many backup plans in case anything would go wrong. Just let me try and figure this out so we both can go home. Cool?"

I looked anywhere but him. I didn't know what to say or what to think. Maybe he could get us out of here, but what if he just siphons from me and leaves me for dead? But I really want to go home. I can't be here anymore. Finally breaking out of my thoughts and looking him in the eyes. "If I stay, are you going to stab me in the back again?"

"If you don't provoke me, I won't." He smiled.

"Promise?" I put out my pinky towards him.

"Really? A pinky promise? What are you five?" Kai laughed.

"Do you promise, yes or no?" I kept my pinky up with a serious expression.

He interlocks his pinky with mine. "I promise."