Chapter 15

It's been three days since Kai left

It's been three days since Kai left. A horrible three days. The first day, I watched tv. The second, I was up all night letting my paranoia get the best of me. The third, I trashed the living room in anger. Angry at Kai that he just disappeared for this long. Does he really have to be this dramatic?

Now, I love being alone, but feeling alone is something I'll always despise. And with the only other person I can talk to gone, I've been bored out of my mind.

It's why I've been drinking a bottle of Damon's bourbon at noon, dancing to the music blasting from the stereo in the middle of the living room.

"And I thought you'd be sulking because I was gone."

I quickly turned around to see the one and only, Kai, standing by the steps. I walked over to the table, lowering the volume. "And he's returned."

"Don't sound too excited." Kai chuckled.

"What do you want?" I snapped. He has the audacity to show up when he left for three days just because we argued. All I wanted from him was to believe me. Now hearing his voice is like nails on a chalkboard.

"What? Didn't you miss me?"

"No." I sat on the couch.

"How was your solitude? You only spent three days alone." He laughed.

"If you're here to be a dick, you can leave, again." I said not looking at him.

"Oh come on, you won't last living alone." Kai leaned on the side of the wall, arms crossed.

"I was doing just fine."

"Really? So, if I just left for another what? Let's say month, you would be fine?" Kai kept his eyes locked on me.

"Mhmm." I hummed still not looking his way.

Deep down, I knew I wouldn't last a week, let alone a month. But I would never admit that to him. It's why I wouldn't look at him. I don't want him to know he's right.

Kai sighed, walking over to sit on the couch across from me. He set out the ascendant that was only missing a few pieces now on the table between us.

"What are you doing? Aren't you gonna leave?" I asked.

"No, Angel, I'm not. Because even though you won't say it out loud, I know you don't want me to leave." Kai said, working on the ascendant.

"That's not true." I scoffed.

"You forget I spent the last twenty years here and I know the last three days were hell for you." He looked up at me with a look I couldn't decipher.

"Whatever." I scoffed. "Are you almost done with that?" I said changing the topic.

"Yup. Wanna help?"

"Why not?" I shrugged.

***********