caring for a demon

She sat with her eyes fixated on him.

"I'm in love with you."

Words so tender- yet equally dangerous- escaped his lips as his eyes gently focused themselves onto her own; he waited for an answer, legs folding crossed over eachother as he sat slightly higher on a tree stump beside her. Her eyes melted as both of her lips curled in frustration. Both of her hands dug into her face as she crumbled down into a mess. He looked in confusion as her feelings were unintelligible.

"What are we going to do.." she mumbled, a small crack in her voice signaling to him that her feelings were likely different towards him. "Why would you tell me that."

His hand came to the back of his head, rubbing it persistently. As his eyes latched themselves away from her, they desperately searched for something else to focus on.

"You're right. That was stupid."

Turning his head towards her, his face stayed calm. "Just forget it-"

Her eye peeked from behind her arms, and he immediately noticed the adorable appearance of her body as she sat curled in a ball admiring his face. That's when he noticed- she was not mad at him for loving her. Both of her cheeks were flushed in a sweet pink burning obviously from his words just moments ago. Quickly shunning herself again, he laughed at her embarrassed state. "No, it wasn't stupid," she mumbled, as his ears secretly burned as well.

He sighed, wrapping his fingers around her arm as he gently pulled it away from her face. All of the sudden, he was much closer than before. She took an abnormally loud breath, as if she was holding it all this time. Her body was stiff against his touch, and it wasn't because she was afraid of him anymore; no, it was because of love. This confession was something she never expected within her life time. After dedicating so much of her life to being a demon slayer, she never had the time to experience love. She was shy and embarrassed, unsure of how to act or what to do after this step of confession. What happens next? Do we kiss? Do we hug it out? Do we pretend to be a couple, even with Akaza having no choice but to leave in a short time?

Or do we just... pretend this never happened?

His hand loosened around her arm, breaking away as he turned away from her. The moment he let go, her fingers unexpectedly roped their way around his wrist, pulling his arm up and towards her. Turning to look at her, he felt her other hand gently press against his cheek. Her tongue swept across her mouth nervously before pressing her wet lips against his own in a tender kiss. His eyes were wide open in surprise as he reacted, unable to continue the kiss as she quickly ended it. Her cheeks were flushed in a much deeper red at this point, but her facial expression was far different from before. Embarrassed, her lips parted to spit out a lazy excuse or apology.

Both of his eyes looked at her lovingly as one of his hands caressed her cheek. Pausing for a few moments with her face inches away from his own, his thumb gently rubbed against her face. Her eyes shut as she melted into his hand; they came closer and closer into a sweet kiss. Their lips pressed against each other with such love, her body lost all pain from any injuries. His hand deepened the kiss more as he held onto the back of her head, eventually letting go as they parted for air. When she attempted to speak, he kissed her again. "Wai-" his lips tenderly pressed against her own even more, silencing her voice from making any noise. Eventually, her hand pushed him away as she pressed her palm over his mouth. "Stop.. Let me say somet-" she gasped as he pulled her against his bare chest. Her cheek smushed against his skin as his hand firmly held the back of her head and her waist.

"Don't speak. Please," he sighed, pressing his lips against her own as his watery eyes shut. his lips desperately connected with her own again, trying to stay in this moment forever. Her fingers gently wrapped around the back of his neck, pulling him closer.