Chaperoning The Freak

Eddie was sitting on the steps in front of his trailer, smoking a cigarette, when Steve's BMW pulled up in front of the trailer across the street. He scoffed to himself, wondering what Steve was doing on this side of town. He couldn't imagine him even knowing anyone that lived in Forest Hills Trailer Park, well besides himself. But he certainly wasn't coming to see Eddie. But he was parked in front of the trailer where Sinclair's girlfriend, Max, lived. Eddie wondered briefly why Steve would be going to see Max.

Then Max came bounding out of the trailer and hopped into the backseat of Steve's car. Eddie watched curiously and then Henderson and Wheeler got out of the car and came running towards him. That explained a lot. Steve had the boys with him, and they were picking up Max for something. Eddie put out his cigarette and waited for them to get across the street. As they approached, Dustin waved wildly, and Eddie nodded in greeting.

"Hey, Eddie!" They both skidded to a stop a few feet from him.

"Henderson. Wheeler. What's up?"

"Steve's taking us to see Highlander," Mike said excitedly.

"Highlander?" Eddie raised an eyebrow at Dustin. "I thought we were going to see that tomorrow."

"We were," Dustin said quickly. "But Mike, Lucas, and Max wanted to see it too, so we talked Steve into taking us, but he has work tomorrow so he offered to take us this afternoon."

"Take a breath, Henderson," Eddie laughed.

"Dustin! Mike!" Steve was out of his car, coming towards them, and yelling across the street. "Come on!"

"You're coming, too," Dustin said excitedly.

"Yeah," Mike chimed in. "Steve won't mind."

"Steve won't mid what?" Dustin and Mike both looked back as Steve came up behind them. "Are we going to the movies or not?"

"Eddie's coming with us," Dustin told Steve.

"Like hell he is." Steve glared at Eddie and Eddie smirked and clapped Dustin on the shoulder.

"What's the matter, Harrington," Eddie asked mockingly. "Feeling threatened?"

"By who," Steve scoffed. "A high school drop out?"

"I didn't drop out," Eddie said gruffly. "This is my year. Eighty-six, baby!"

Steve rolled his eyes. "If you don't die in a car accident first," Steve said hatefully. "With the way you tear around here in that death trap." He motioned towards Eddie's van with a look of disgust.

"Great," Henderson said under his breath to Mike. "Mom and dad are fighting."

"Which one is your mom, again," Mike asked, trying to hold back a laugh.

"Steve," Eddie said, overhearing them. "Definitely Steve."

"Hey!" Steve planted his hands on his hips. "Why do I have to be the mom?"

"Your hair," Dustin answered.

"He's the one with the long hair." Steve made a contemptuous gesture towards Eddie's hair.

"But your is prettier," Mike laughed.

"And you're the bitch," Eddie added very matter-of-factly.

"Screw you, Munson." Steve laid a hand on each of the younger boy's shoulder. "Come on, let's go. before Lucas and Max get too comfortable in the back seat of my car."

"Come on, Eddie." Dustin motioned for Eddie to follow them.

"There's not enough room." Steve glared at Eddie again as they all started back across the street to his car.