The Kidnapping

(Third Person)

Mumbai, India November 2023: One month after The Blip 

The school day had just ended at Hargrave International School. 18-year-old Nima Mahajan chattered away with her female friends as they exited Hargrave International High School and walked down the stairs to the streets. India like most of the world was recovering from the confusion brought by The Blip. One day in October, all those who had disappeared five years ago suddenly manifested simultaneously. 

Nima was lucky most people in her life never disappeared. The resettlement crisis impacting India and the wider world seemed distant to her. Ovi, Nima's currently incarcerated father was helping those of her friends who disappeared and their families with housing until they could recover. " We're going clubbing tonight. You should come. " The driving friend offered. " Nima rolled her eyes. " I'd love to but Saju would never let me. If he leaves, maybe. " She said. Her friends accepted the answer and changed the subject. 

They got to her house a few minutes later. " Bye! Have fun! " She shouted to them as they drove off. One of two guards at the door let her in. Right after, she took off her shoes and put on some sandals. Nima passed by the glass door that led to a meeting room. Saju Reeves, top enforcer for the Majayan Entourage and Nima's guardian was there discussing with other men about the "medicine business" as Nima put it. One woman was there. She was on a laptop in a corner of the room but looked up at Nima, a small smile on her face. Nima returned the smile at Saju's assistant. The drug lord's daughter preferred to ignore the business as much as possible. 

Dwelling on it only reminded her of his absence. Saju noticed his assistant's look and turned to Nima, stopping the meeting. " The guards called. You didn't come back with them. " He said sternly in Hindi. " I was with friends, don't worry. " Nima shrugged off in English. " Hasn't your father told you to always come back with our men? Hmm? " He asked. " Whatever. " Nima replied before walking to her room. Saju sighed and returned to the meeting. 

After practicing on her piano, Nima took a nap. When she woke up, Nima showered and got dinner from one of the maids. It was 7 pm and dark. She checked the parking lot and Saju's car wasn't there, the sight bringing an excited smile onto her face. Nima rushed to her room and changed her clothes before calling her friend with a car. " Saju just left. Come pick me up. " Nima said. " Great! I'm on my way. " Her friend said. When they got to the club, Nima met up with the rest of her friends and ordered the first round of drinks. 

" I'm gonna smoke a blunt, wanna join? " One of her friends offered. " Sure. " Nima agreed and followed her outside and to an alley. Her friend took out the blunt and lit it. " Here, I'll let you take the first hit. " Nima took the blunt and hit, exhaling and coughing. " You went too deep. " Her friend giggled. Before Nima could return the blunt, the alley was lit up by headlights. " Oh shit, put it out. " She whispered quickly. Nima threw the blunt down. 

Two police offers exited their car. " Having fun tonight, girls? Are you two from inside, huh? " One asked in Hindi. " Yeah, we were. Had to make some phone calls. " Nima's friend lied in Hindi. The second cop chuckled. " I think you dropped something. " He said and pointed to the blunt on the ground. The first cop stepped past the two girls and picked it up. " No? You two sure you didn't buy it inside? " He asked playfully. " It's not ours. " Nima assured nervously. The two cops chucked. " Chill. Relax. " One said in English. 

" You two have your whole lives ahead of you. So, we're gonna let you off on a warning. Well, except you. " The second said before drawing his pistol and shooting Nima's friend in the head. " No! No! " Nima screamed as the two cops shoved her into the wall and put a sack on her head. Muffled by the club music, nobody heard her screams and the gunshot. 

The next day at Mumbai Central Prison, Saju waited inside the visitor center. One of the guards entered. " Leave most fast. " He ordered the other visitors. They left reluctantly, eyeing Saju and wondering why he remained. A door on the other side opened. Ovi Mahajan stepped out and faced his enforcer through the bars. Saju waited for him to sit down first. He looked down at the ground and shook his head. " I told you, you dumb motherfucker, to watch his every move... And yet Amir Asif has grabbed my son. " Ovi said quietly in Hindi to their conversation private. 

" We can negotiate. " Saju said calmly in the same language. " This isn't about ransom, Saju. It's about humiliation. Go to Dhaka. " Ovi ordered. " And do what? " Saju asked. " Steal him back. " His boss answered angrily. " I'd need an army, Ovi. " Saju said. " Then hire a fucking army! " Ovi raged. His lead enforcer nodded. 

The drug lord got up and stepped back, spreading his arms out. " What do you think? You think I can't hurt you from here? " Saju's breathing hitched. " Ovi, please... " He reasoned. " You want your son to see his next birthday? Then... Get my daughter back. If she dies, he dies! " Ovi ordered. " I will sir. " Saju promised before leaving.

At the Rav household, pictures of Saju's family stood alongside him wearing a military uniform. When he returned home, he found his son, Aarav in the backyard playing with toys while his wife extracted green bean seeds at the dinner table. " Tell Mahajan to pay the ransom and get his son back. " She said worriedly in Hindi. 

" Why are they getting us involved in this? " Saju watched his son playing and took a breath. " Neysa... There's not enough money. The NCB froze all his assets. I'm all he's got. You understand? " He said and sat at the table, placing his hand on his wife's. " Animals. " She seethed in English. " There's a man who does this sort of thing. An American whose price is out of Mahajan's current reach, but there's a way I can play this. It will not be easy. " Saju explained.

Neysa gripped his hand. " Do whatever you have to. "