Chapter 19: The Tocher-Gude

Summary:  "The Tocher-Gude" means "the marriage portion" in Scottish Gaelic and is from a poem by Robert Burns (used in this chapter).

Notes: I've done lots of research leading up to this chapter regarding Scottish Gaelic/Celtic wedding traditions. I hope you enjoy. If you happen to be Scottish and have more familiarity than I with specific traditions and this seems totally out of touch, then please feel free to let me know. It won't be fully traditional, as I don't think it would be since they've both spent quite a bit of time out of Scotland and are in more contemporary times. I've pulled the traditions, various poems and readings, etc. from multiple resources. I understand also that children as Ring Bearers and Flower Girls isn't necessarily a common tradition (or at least it didn't used to be) in the UK. But I can't resist having wee Fred and Lizzie as a part of the wedding party, so please bear with that part.

**--**--**

Three weeks later, Liv MacDonald sat in Ellie Miller's house in front of a dressing mirror. Daisy Hardy was helping the woman, soon to be her step-mother, fix her hair. They heard a knocking from downstairs and a few moments later Ellie Miller was escorting Maggie Radcliffe into the bedroom.

"Here we are now, love. The only white heather in Broadchurch, straight from Jocelyn's garden. She's the only one who's been able to get it to grow here." Maggie smiled as she presented a few sprigs of white to the bride.

"Oh Maggie, I can't thank you and Jocelyn enough. Would you place it in my bouquet? It's there, on the bed," Liv said, motioning in the direction without moving her head, which Daisy was busy at work on.

"It'd be my honor. You make a beautiful bride, Liv. And Daisy, you're doing a marvelous job," Maggie said with a smile and a pat on Daisy's arm.

"Thank you, Maggie." Daisy nodded, smiled, and put the finishing touches on her work.

About that time, there was another knocking on the door downstairs and Ellie huffed before heading back that way.

"Alright, loves, I'll leave you be. See you in a bit at the church!" Maggie said as she left the room.

It wasn't long before they heard a shouting from downstairs. "Best man here to deliver a package from the groom!"

"Alright, Mark! Have Ellie bring it up!"

Ellie came back in a moment later carrying a small box. "You know what this is?" she asked.

"I have an idea." Liv grinned as she took the box and slid the top off. She moved the small piece of paper to reveal a silver brooch that resembled two merged hearts.

Ellie gasped, "It's beautiful. What is it?"

Liv spoke quietly as she marveled over the brooch, "It's a Luckenbooth, a Scottish symbol of love."

Daisy whispered, "It was my grandmothers—dad's mum—I never met her." She paused, a weight on her as she looked at the brooch. "My mum refused to wear it on their wedding day, she told my dad it was silly. He showed it to me before and told me the story."

Liv stood up, holding the brooch and paper tight in her hand as she pulled Daisy in to hug her close. "I can't thank you enough, Daisy, for being here."

"I'm glad my Dad is happy. And especially glad it's with you." The young girl blushed a bit at being honest.

"Alright now, you and El leave me for a bit. I'd like some time alone before we leave."

Ellie smiled and ushered Daisy out of the room. After they had left, Liv sat back down in the chair facing the mirror and looked at herself a moment, taking a deep breath, then opening her hand back up to examine the brooch again. She set the paper on her lap long enough to pin the brooch just below the left strap of her wedding dress, close to her heart. Her hand traced back over it once more before she then took the paper back up and unfolded it, knowing it would be a treasure itself.