A New Day

King Dedede directed some waddle dees to patch up the hole that led to the secret basement. "This place doesn't exist. And it never did. Got it?"

They nodded and got to work. Everyone else looked at one another, gave faint, weak smiles, and started filing off and going in separate directions. Dark Meta Knight didn't particularly want to go home, but it wasn't as if he had any better options. As he stood outside the castle, he looked around at the scenery. Nothing in particular was going on, other than waddle dees and other various people milling about, trying to get back to normal. He thought that it was time for him to follow their example. The thought didn't do much to lift his spirits, but regardless he spread his wings.

"You seem upset." He was startled by Daroach's voice behind him. "What's on your mind?" His face wasn't quite as accommodating as it had seemed before. What changed?

"Nothing. I was just about to go home, that's all." He turned away from him.

"Oh, you are, are you? Mind if I ask why?"

"You're... asking me why I'm going home? It's because I live there."

Daroach's expression remained stone cold. "What compels you to stay? Is there someone who needs you?"

Dark Meta Knight's face tightened under his mask. "Yes."

"That's a lie."

Annoyingly perceptive, that one. "Get to the point." He snapped.

"You don't actually want to go back, do you?"

"Does it matter? I'm outvoted. Two to one. I'm going back." He tried to hide the resignation in his voice, but didn't do that great of a job at it.

Daroach let out a small chuckle. "Heh. I wouldn't be too sure about that one. I mean, you remember Shadow Kirby, right? If we count his vote, it's a tie. Wouldn't that complicate things?"

"Just what are you proposing?"

"I don't know who you think is keeping you tied down, but if you simply don't go back, what are they gonna do?"

"Fine. Let's discuss this somewhere private." Dark Meta Knight stormed off, the cloaked mouse quickly following behind. Once they got somewhere secluded, he inhaled. "If you ever repeat a word of this to anyone, I will cut you down where you stand. Am I clear?"

"Crystal clear, my 'good' man. Now, tell me. What's going on?"

"A long time ago, I... disposed of some people. Although, I have no way of knowing if I got rid of all of them. There are only two people in the universe who know all the sordid details. If I do not comply to their will, they may divulge that information to the general public. If that happens, there's no telling what will happen to me, even over here."

Daroach couldn't help but think back to the conversation he had with Shadow Kirby, and the counterpart of Daroach who had "gone missing a long time ago." It seemed a given that he, along with multiple others, were likely dead. "I need more information so I can know specifically what you should do. For starters, what do you mean by 'disposed of,' and why did you do it?"

"I did not kill them. At least, not directly. And I disposed of them because I was being threatened. Is that enough?"

Daroach took a long pause. "I can arrange something. But to make sure, you do want to get out of the blackmail, yes?"

Dark Meta Knight scoffed. "Arrange something? You? I doubt it."

"You don't get to where I am without knowing how to pull a few strings. I'll handle it."

.... . ... / --. --- -. -. .- / ... - . .--. / .. -.

Adeleine frustratedly tugged at the laces on her shoes. "I hate all that adrenaline stuff. How did I not notice earlier that I have blisters everywhere?"