IX

AN ADVANTAGE OF being Grisha was that she could control the pace of this ship. Every morning the wind was slow, barely pushing the ship in its required direction, but every night the waves were a blessing, pushing the Ferolind faster toward their destination.

Svetlana was spending more time with Inej and Nina, the girls growing on her rather quickly, and since they were going to be working together for the next three weeks, she figured that was a bonus. Of the boys, only Wylan had made a true impact on her. She saw him as a little duckling, barely able to hoist himself up on his feet, but he had potential. It was Jesper who she saw a reflection of herself in, a younger Svetlana.

He was giddy and active, always moving and never still. She wondered just how fast his brain ought to be working for him to feel the need to be constantly on the move.

She'd spot him on one end of the ship, then she'd blink he'd appear on the other.

Svetlana was below deck with Nina, working together to help Inej get dressed as she was finally cleared by Levlik to be good as new and returned to the mission at hand. Svetlana thanked him, and he was off after sending a brief glance to Nina.

After helping her put on some clothes while Nina continued to fight with her rubber shoes, Jesper appeared at the door. He cried out Inej's name like a prayer and cheered for her near-death experience. 

"Now you have a mighty bullet scar, how about that?" he said, grinning charmingly.

Svetlana and Nina met each other's gaze, then simultaneously rolled their eyes.

"Don't just stand there," Nina growled, "Help me get these things on her feet."

"If you would just let me—"

"No!" both girls shouted at the same time, and Inej cowered into herself. "Fine. Saints."

"Do not overwork yourself. Do not bend. Do not leap. Do not move abruptly. If you don't promise to take it easy, I'll slow your heart and keep you in a coma until I can be sure you've recovered fully. I don't want to see Levlik stitch you back together again."

"Nina Zenik, as soon as I figure out where you've put my knives, we're going to have words."

"Oh, I didn't put them anywhere. It was Karina."

Svetlana sent a glare to Nina, then met Inej's glare with a smile. "I'll give them to you before we land."

"And how close to land are we?"

"A few days."

Inej sighed and then reached out to hold both of the girls' hands. "Thank you both, and Levlik, for keeping me in this world when fate seemed determined to drag me to the next. I owe you both a life debt."

Svetlana dramatically widened her eyes, "Oh please, I'm so done with debts."

"Inej, I think we've both had enough of debts," Nina added.

"This one I'm glad to bear."

"Okay, okay. When we're back in Ketterdam, take me out for waffles."

Svetlana turned to her with a grin, "Oh I know the best breakfast shop in all of Ketterdam and their waffles are to die for. It's in Little Ravka, I'll be sure to take you there sometime."

Nina grinned excitedly, "That sounds amazing, my mouth is watering. I miss waffles."

"Can I join?" Jesper asked from the door, and both Svetlana and Nina turned to him, "No."

"Now come help get her standing."

"I can stand on my own," Inej grumbled as she slid off the table and Jesper came to stand beside her, holding out an arm.