Baby's First Nevers

Juana woke up the next morning in a nice clean bed, unfortunately the experience wasn't pleasant. She was woken up by the upbeat harmony of Tallulah's harmonica. Some people might of enjoyed the harmonica, but Juana wasn't fond. She felt like she was in an old country movie, about to sing the blues.

Juana crawled out of bed and stretched before swinging open the door. Tallulah was at the top of the stairs, looking down at the shop below while she played. "By that awful tune your playing, I assume you're trying to wake me?"

"Awful?" Tallulah scrunched up her face and turned around. "I'm sorry for waking you, but don't be so mean. That wasn't my intention."

"Tallulah, playing loud music just outside my door...is going to wake me!" Juana shouted at her.

Wilbur came out of the kitchen and scowled at Juana. "Excuse me, why are you speaking to my daughter like that?"

"She woke me up with her high-pitched noises." Juana wasn't too shy to say it how it is.

"Noise?! No, she makes beautiful music!" Wilbur walked over to Tallulah and put his hands on her shoulders. "You can't hate on her just because you have bad taste."

"I have bad taste?" Juana had something in mind to say, but swallowed the mean comment. She needed a job right now. At least until she saved up enough money to keep her going until she could find a new one. "You know what, I'm sorry...I'm just tired and cranky." She decided to apologize, to not get fired yet.

"Thank you for apologizing, do you accept her apology?" Wilbur asked his daughter.

"Yeah, it's fine." Tallulah nodded. "Do you not like music?"

"I do, just not whatever that was..." Juana mumbled, trying to hold back.

"Do you like boring pop music then? Stuff made by huge companies, and no emotion?" Tallulah raised an eyebrow.

"Well...no, maybe...I guess? Look, it's cool that you play an instrument. I admire people with musical talent, but why would you choose a harmonica of all things? You sound like a country hillbilly." Juana quickly took back what she said. "I mean, sorry-! I don't have a filter, disculpe."

"Watch how you talk to my daughter, okay?" Wilbur said gently. "I don't want any trouble, and I don't want to have to fire you on your first day. Why don't you girls come into the kitchen? I'll get you some cereal."

"Sure..." Juana walked to the kitchen with Tallulah and Wilbur.

"So, Juana, do you have any dietary needs?" Wilbur asked while opening the pantry.

"I've had many people help me out of pity, and not one has asked me that..." Juana said while sitting down at the table across from Tallulah. "I used to be vegan, at home...can't be picky on the streets, so I typically eat whatever I can get. Although I do prefer to stick to vegetarian options at least, if I can. And, well, gluten isn't my best friend...many times people have given me sandwiches to eat, and I spend the night in a gas station bathroom."

"Oh gosh, that's terrible!" Wilbur shook his head and read the cereal box. "Well, this is gluten free. We don't have any milk alternatives though..."

"That's fine, I've ingested worse." Juana shrugged.

Wilbur got two bowls and poured in the cereal. "So, safe to assume you're no longer in school?"

"Nah, that's the last thing on my mind right now..." Juana sometimes wished she could be in a normal home, getting a normal education. Not on the run in a raggedy van.

"A girl your age ought to be learning..." Wilbur set the bowls in front of them and gave them spoons. "There's got to be people looking for you."

"Sure, why do you think I left the country?"

"How long did it even take you to get here? Where did you get that van? I saw it parked outside.  Is there an active search for you?" Wilbur realized taking in this girl from the goodness of his heart, might of been a bad idea. He could probably get in trouble for housing a missing person.

"I may be young, but I have words of wisdom for you. No preguntes lo que no deberías saber." (Don't ask what you shouldn't know.) Juana told him.

"What's that mean? Sorry, Tallulah stopped wanting to speak Spanish a few years ago, and naturally we're both rusty now..."

"Don't ask what you shouldn't know."

Wilbur moved on for the sake of his daughter. He didn't want her worrying about wether it was right or wrong to hire Juana. "So, Tallulah...do you have any plans for this beautiful Sunday morning?"

"Me and Tyler were going to go hang out around the docks, if that's okay." Tallulah told her dad while spooning some cereal into her mouth.

"Oh yeah, of course that's okay." Wilbur was always happy to see Tallulah venturing outside the house to have fun. "But remember the rules."

"Dad, he's just a friend." Tallulah rolled her eyes.

"You've known him only a week, you don't know his intentions. Tallulah, it's sad, but some boys only befriend girls because they want a chance to date them." Wilbur trusted his daughter, but knew the world was a messed up place.

"Well, not Tyler." Tallulah insisted, but without arguing.

"Glad you trust him, remember the rules anyway." Wilbur restated and went to the sink to put away a couple clean dishes.

"What are these rules?" Juana asked.

"The rules of dating a boy? You should know them, but it's okay if you don't..." Tallulah tilted her head.

"Not every girl dates boys and rules apply to any partner, Tallulah." Will reminded and turned around. "Never let a partner touch your body unless you consent, never have unsafe sex, never let a partner raise their voice at you in a hostile manner, Never let a partner raise their hand to hit you, Never excuse abuse—"

"Sounds like a neverending supply of nevers." Juana interrupted.

"Did your parents not tell you what to never do?" Wilbur asked, sounding a bit worried.

"I mean, sure." Juana recalled the lessons she had learned. "Never speak unless spoken to, never steal daddy's gun, never cry in front of Papa."

"Uh huh..." Wilbur cleared his throat and looked at Tallulah. "Tallu, you go ahead and meet up with Tyler. Me and Juana have a lot of work to do downstairs." He didn't want Juana filling Tallulah's head with negatives. Tallulah already had an assortment of her own dark memories.

"M'kay." Tallulah finished up her cereal and hugged her father. "I'll see you later, papa."

Wilbur hugged back. "Call if you need me, I love you." He ruffled the girl's hair before sending her off to see a friend.

"It must be nice, having a bond like that." Juana didn't remember the last time she was hugged, genuinely hugged. Sometimes her parents would hug her around company to get her to stop crying.

"Yeah, we're close..." Wilbur brushed some hair out of his face. "Let's go downstairs and open up the shop. I'll show you the cleaning closet, vamos." (I'll show you the cleaning closet, come on.)