Post Confronted

"Mindy!"

Mindy took a deep breath just outside the door of her older brother's hospital room, realizing her aunt had followed her. "I'm going home."

"Let me at least say goodbye to your older brother," her aunt said. "And he's not wrong about what you said, even though he didn't have to be so blunt with you about it, but...."

Mindy turned, feeling the tears well in her eyes. "I can walk home on my own. I'm not a baby, you know."

"Yes, well," her aunt frowned. "I know how much of a penchant for the trouble you have and how going home likely means not doing so, so please wait."

Her aunt stepped back into the room, closing the door behind her, and Mindy—

The first thing she did was shake her head, her hands jammed into her pockets, but then a thought occurred to her that led to a smirk appearing on her face, her head turning so she could rudely stick out her tongue at the door even though she knew she was being disrespectful to her aunt's wishes.

Because the thought that crossed Mindy's mind was, "She forgot about my speed ability!"

And so she took off, only to crash onto the floor hard. She sat up, holding her nose, frowning as her eyes crossed. "Are you alright?"

Mindy looked up at the Healer Elf and said, "No."

"Ah. Speed magic?" the Healer Elf asked, then looked at the door, frowning. "Is Elder Elfbright in there?"

"Yes," Mindy sighed, rolling her eyes. "My aunt is in there with me," she stopped, frowning. "Do I have to admit I'm related to Bernie?"

"Not if you don't want to, although you just did," the Healer Elf said. "But just a heads up, the rooms and halls of this particular ward are highly warded against the use of any kind of magic, although that doesn't mean you can't feel an elf's magic?"

"Feel an elf's magic?" Mindy frowned.

"Your magic feels like Christmas magic. Like your—well, Bernie does. Although, it's barely there. You've not yet graduated, have you, but are training to become one?"

"Uh," Mindy said, standing up and smiling. "I'm going to be a toymaker elf. Like my mom and dad."

"So, you're not going to go into your cousin's department?"

"Cousin?" Mindy asked, feeling confused, her hands tucked behind her back.

"Isn't Bernard your cousin?"

"He's," Mindy said, taking a deep breath. "Bernie is my older brother."

"Well, aren't you lucky to have him for an older brother?"

"Am I?" Mindy asked.

"I guess having him as an older brother is a bit awkward?"

"Definitely," Mindy said, frowning. "Wait. You asked if I was going into his department. What is Bernie's department?"

She watched the Healer Elf's eyes widen, a laugh escaping. "You don't know?"

Mindy shook her head.

"Well, I think you should ask him. I'm sure he has some amazing stories about the North Pole," the elf smiled. "Your nose looks better now, so I'll get back to work. Take care not to speed through the halls with your magic anymore."

"Uh-huh," Mindy said, heading to the front door as her aunt hadn't yet returned, knowing she'd get an earful when she eventually returned to the house. Instead, she sought out her friends at the park, only to find herself waiting for classes to end for the day.